Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Head of Relationship Management, SMB is a member of the Senior Leadership Team reporting to the VP of SMB Sales. Relationship management is a strategic focus for our continued growth and we are looking for an experienced professional to lead Toptal’s customer centric strategy under the direction of the VP. You will have the passion and the vision to design and implement this strategy. In order to be a successful leader at Toptal, you must have keen attention to detail, be driven, have an ability to critically think through problems, all while being an inspiring leader to your team.
This is a remote position that can be located anywhere in North America. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
This role will directly manage a team of Relationship Managers responsible for Toptal’s most strategic SMB clients. By monitoring and responding to key metric results, you will ensure that relationship management is performing at optimum levels and maximizing effectiveness and efficiency. Metrics you are responsible for include revenue growth, client satisfaction, and retention, among others. You will work closely with Relationship Managers to direct planning for their assigned books of business, develop client engagement strategies, and coach them to identify and close new opportunities in their accounts. Periodic travel will be necessary to build senior level relationships with our most strategic clients and serve as a Toptal representative at conferences and regional events. Internally, this position will work with Talent Operations and Client Experience leadership to support a team-based approach to providing best-in-class relationship management. You must be willing to think creatively yet be able to provide the necessary analytical support to your approach.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal leadership.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our team members, and our story.
- Begin our 1-1 sales training process which conveys our value proposition, sales process, and delivery method.
- Become acquainted with the cross-functional teams that you will be working closely alongside.
In the first month you will:
- Complete our personalized sales training program, complete with mock calls and role-play scenarios.
- Complete Toptal’s vertical-specific training, familiarizing yourself with the full range of offerings we make available to our clients.
- Have met with every member of the relationship management team on a 1:1 basis
In the first three months you will:
- Develop your strategy to position relationship management as a growth driver for SMB with input from other Senior Leadership Team members within SMB and Growth, Talent Operations, and Product.
- In partnership with sales enablement and operations, formulate account management playbooks, revise planning activities, establish key revenue drivers with supporting metrics to drive impact, and establish winning client engagement strategies.
- Set goals for individuals within relationship management.
In the first six months you will:
- Have established and executed on a strong operating framework to carry out your designed strategy.
- Regularly assess team performance against previously determined Key Performance Indicators and leverage sales enablement and operations to continuously improve.
- Build, coach, and mentor team members guiding them to achieve greater success.
In the first year you will:
- Demonstrate a measurable track record of meaningful growth through institution of a client centric approach.
- Exhibit a track record of successfully mentoring, coaching and training members of your team.
- Continue to drive a culture of high performance and continuous improvement.
- Experienced. You have experience leading a team of experienced relationship managers and coaching best practices in account management and relationship-building with mid-size businesses and hypergrowth companies - resulting in a track record of success.
- Knowledgeable. Broad understanding of business and technical challenges encountered by mid-size businesses and hypergrowth companies.
- Critical thinking. You will bring strong negotiation and problem resolution skills with a demonstrated ability to develop creative win-win solutions.
- Client Focus. You must be relationship driven and obsessive about your client’s success. This extends to the talent we provide, the experience we offer and the outcomes we deliver.
- Motivated. You must be highly motivated and continuously strive for personal and professional improvement.
- Resourceful. You will be responsible for a major growth driver for Toptal’s SMB business- we want self-starters who are passionate and thrive on the freedom and accountability of leading a portion of the SMB business.
- Proactive. You must be able to understand our mission and do the work required to drive us to that goal, without being told. You are not here to be reactive.
- Communication. Communication is the lifeblood of your relationships both internal and external to Toptal. You need to reflect excellent communication in all forms, across a wide variety of personality types, roles, and geographies.
- Team. Nothing we do is done in isolation. Your success depends on your ability to work as a team both within Toptal and with our more important clients.
- Ownership. You need to exhibit ownership of your successes and your failures.
- Problem Solver. We are a distributed company so life throws in minor challenges beyond the primary problems your role is meant to solve. You need the ability to take those in stride and persist despite setbacks.
- Priorities. The nature of this role requires that you understand the priorities and timelines associated with the direction of the SMB business, and execute appropriately with those in mind.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to communicate effectively both laterally and vertically among teams.
- As with all roles at Toptal, you must be an outstanding contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do. We want you to “Lead from the front.”
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-DNI