Head of Talent Capabilities
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a strategic minded executive with a consistent history of driving impact through innovative, fast-paced, and rapidly-scaling execution? As Toptal continues its rapid growth, we are looking for an established leader to join us in this newly created Head of Talent Capabilities role. This role will collaborate with and complement our Head of Practices to develop and execute upon the Talent Capabilities strategy for Toptal. As the leader of Talent Capabilities, you will be accountable for the strategy related to Talent Capabilities offerings, and the assurance of ample high quality Talent Supply to meet the needs of the Toptal Practices growth strategies.
This leader will develop and execute against a high level Talent Capabilities strategy for Toptal Practices and offerings that will achieve ambitious goals in the years to come. A deep understanding of technology trends and the Talent Supply market trends will contribute to overall growth and talent acquisition strategies.
This role is highly collaborative. The groups that this person will interface with include:
- The Head of Practices who resides within the Revenue function - to assist with informing growth strategies based on Talent Supply opportunities.
- Brand and Growth Marketing to ensure thought leadership and campaigns that highlight our competitive differentiation for Talent, elevate our reputation in the market, and generate leads for specific talent aligned to the strategy.
- Talent Operations Directors of Talent Screening, Matching, Talent Supply, and Talent Success to ensure that the actions of your direct reports are aligned with these leaders.
The successful executive for this role has a demonstrated capability to:
- Keep apprised of global talent market trends and articulate opportunities and challenges in the formulation of strategy.
- Build and lead a team, but be able and comfortable rolling up their sleeves to do the work. In the beginning, this person will likely be a team of one that will ramp up throughout the year.
- Make data informed decisions and define key metrics with which you’ll measure progress.
- Provide oversight to the actions of direct reports to ensure ample talent supply that meets our client demand and high standards for quality.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The Head of Talent Capabilities has responsibility for the strategy and methods to ensure the right level of high quality talent supply, at the right time, with the right skill sets to meet the needs of the Toptal offerings - now and in the future. You will develop and execute upon the Talent Capabilities strategy for Toptal. You will have the opportunity to inform growth strategies based on knowledge of the talent marketplace trends, and ensure that the goals of meeting client demand with high quality talent are met based on supply needs forecasts. You will hire for and oversee the Directors responsible for individual Talent Capabilities strategies and performance to ensure their actions are aligned to the Toptal growth plans. Success in the role will require a combination of thought leadership, strategic planning, collaboration, and execution.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal; meet your colleagues.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow critical teams throughout the organization to learn Toptal’s core operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Continue onboarding by diving deeper into the operations of key teams across the company, including understanding their upcoming roadmaps and building strategies for the new Practices and Talent Supply initiatives.
- Begin developing relationships with key leaders and stakeholders across the organization.
- Begin taking ownership of key initiatives so that you can put your mark on them and learn about the organization by doing.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be a well-integrated member of the organization with positive relationships in Sales (Enterprise/SMB), Marketing, and other teams within Talent Operations.
- Become well-versed on global talent trends.
- Build execution plans for ensuring a wide variety of Talent Capabilities initiatives can be accomplished.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Build a Talent Capabilities organization that aligns strategically to the Toptal Practices function.
- See an impact from your involvement in early initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Feel like you made the best decision of your career.
- Enable Toptal to increase the growth rate of our new and existing practices.
- 10+ years of experience preferably in consulting or professional services with at least 5+ years consulting specifically in technology solutions.
- 5+ years managing a business, preferably with P&L responsibility.
- Refined relationship development & leadership skills with a track record of success building immediate credibility across all levels of an organization. You can develop positive relationships across the business to partner on key initiatives and gain consensus on processes and strategies.
- Confidence in your analytical capabilities, with proven success in making data-driven decisions and delivering results in ambiguous and sophisticated project efforts.
- Experience developing and working in a metrics-driven environment with success in developing methods to achieve KPI expectations.
- Ability to lead a global team, providing motivation and clear direction to meet expectations by instilling accountability for quality and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to adapt to changing business priorities and environments.
- Skilled in the art of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.