Head of Talent Learning Programs
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Toptal network includes thousands of top engineers, designers, finance experts, project managers, and more from over 100 countries, working with leading companies on mission-critical projects.
As the Head of Talent Learning Programs at Toptal, you will be responsible for building a world-class professional development function that enables Toptal’s world-class Talent to stay on the cutting edge of their respective fields and continuously hone their skills to maximize their potential. You will own Toptal’s education and training programs end-to-end, including designing the strategy, establishing operating models and processes, measuring results, and scaling to serve thousands of Talent in our network.
As a new function with Executive-level visibility, we are striving to build comprehensive development programs that will include rigorous technical courses (Toptal Academies), certification programs completed in partnership with major technology companies, training on soft skills, and feedback and coaching based on previous performance. As a part of the Talent Success team, you will work to establish and monitor KPIs to measure effectiveness and scale programs in an ROI-positive manner.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
You will work with Talent Ops Leadership to identify areas of opportunity for Talent training to improve the overall health and skill level of the Talent network. Training areas may address both technical skills related to Toptal verticals (e.g., code review, wireframing, financial forecasting) and soft skills (e.g., client communication, project management).
For each area identified, you will be responsible for developing the appropriate training materials and make decisions on how to best deliver training to the broader Talent network; this will include understanding our previous efforts to build talent education programs as well as conducting the build/buy/partner analysis to determine how to most effectively create and deliver the training.
You will develop a framework for career paths within the Talent network, creating clear steps for Talent to advance in skill level and seniority within Toptal. Additional responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- In coordination with the Product team, develop a system to recommend appropriate coursework to Talent based on their foundational knowledge and career goals.
- Identify opportunities for Talent training and create or source necessary curriculum/materials
- Develop career paths to move Talent to in-demand skills and higher seniority. Create and maintain programs to make this happen.
- Use KPIs to prove impact and scale the program.
- Lead the strategic design, creation, and delivery of new virtual training & development programs, introducing new tools as necessary.
- Assist in developing long-term Talent learning strategy and plan, owning, and driving all relevant components.
- Evaluate, design, and refine Talent experience programs to increase Talent retention.
- Manages Talent training and engagement tools, and identifies areas of opportunity for further training and development.
- Identify and execute on opportunities to improve our services by gathering client feedback, analyzing data to identify trends, and communicating findings to various audiences, and partnering cross-functionally with key leaders and teams.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn about the core of the Toptal service by shadowing calls with clients and Talent.
- Learn the structures and capabilities of the Talent-facing teams at Toptal, with a particular focus on understanding the goals, processes, and ongoing projects within the Talent Operations and Talent Success teams.
In the first month, expect to:
- Dive deep on previous Toptal Academies, including reviewing why they were launched, their strengths and weaknesses, and their impact.
- Learn Toptal’s supply/demand analytics dashboards, with a focus on understanding the typical signs that a particular skill area may warrant creating a development program around.
- Begin taking over the existing Toptal Academies.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a training strategy and roadmap, based on prioritized areas for Talent training and the best channels to deliver training materials in response to Talent performance issues, and proactively as Talent joins Toptal.
- Set a long-term vision for world-class professional development at Toptal that allows the world’s best talent to stay on the cutting edge of their fields and perform at the highest levels of client service.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Ensure a rigorous feedback loop between program graduates and subsequent client work.
- Develop strategies to ensure that program graduates are hired on Toptal engagements and deliver expected client results.
- Begin building and hiring a team of elite performers to support you in these initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Build a team of strong performers to partner with you on the delivery of Toptal’s professional development programs at scale.
- Recommend new features for Toptal’s Talent portal to deliver training and feedback at scale.
- 7+ years experience in strategic roles, preferably with experience leading and developing teams.
- You must be forward-thinking and motivated by continuous improvement and be excited to impact the skills of the workforce by fostering greater opportunities for individuals seeking to make a positive change in their lives.
- Strong knowledge of the consulting, professional services, and/or Talent space is preferred. Prior work in a technical environment with direct exposure to software engineering, and an understanding of underlying concepts (i.e. code review, unit testing, code documentation) is an added bonus.
- Experience with learning and development programs, especially in the context of technical skill sets.
- You must be a strong strategic thinker. You must be capable of understanding market demand and use this to formulate strategies for talent acquisition, sales, and forecasting customer demand.
- Significant strategic research and analysis experience with a strong understanding of how to build a compelling, data-driven business case.
- Practical experience testing concepts, validating hypotheses and informing planning and development.
- Hustle. You understand how to build from the ground up and will dive in and do whatever is needed to drive growth.
- Resourcefulness. You should be a self-starter who thrives on the freedom and accountability that comes with leading your portion of the business.
- Adaptability. You should be able to identify opportunities, successes, and failures quickly and act upon them in a thoughtful manner.
- Passion. Our goal is to change the way organizations build teams and how the world’s top talent finds opportunities. You have to be passionate about what we do, and be a strong advocate of the change we are driving in the market.
- Communication. Our clients are global, our Talent community is global, and our core team is global. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to speak to a wide range of stakeholders and team members, across a wide range of geographies.
- You need to be open to giving and receiving challenging feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.