Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-shelf engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
As Toptal’s Lead Director of Marketing, you will be responsible for all talent screening and client matching operations for Toptal’s rapidly growing community of marketing experts. You will be working closely with Toptal’s Lead Director of Business Talent to specialize and refine Toptal’s screening processes for marketing experts. You will be the primary person responsible for defining and maintaining the quality bar for entry into Toptal’s community, ensuring that all marketing experts joining Toptal are going to be extremely successful on engagements with clients. You will also be working directly with Toptal clients to understand their company needs and custom-match them with marketing experts from Toptal’s network.
Alongside Toptal’s Lead Director of Business Talent, you will be responsible for building the operational processes and scaling the teams necessary to connect Toptal’s clients with top marketing experts at scale.
This is a remote, full-time position that can be done from anywhere.
- Develop and tune a rigorous screening process designed to identify top marketing experts while minimizing both false positives and false negatives, testing for everything from professionalism and communication ability to technical know-how and domain experience.
- Screen marketing experts from a variety of academic and professional backgrounds seeking to join the Toptal network and ensure that all candidates passing the process are going to be extremely successful working with Toptal clients in a freelance capacity.
- Work with Toptal’s Lead Director of Business Talent and VP of Talent Operations to grow screening operations and build the necessary playbooks and KPIs needed to seamlessly operate a complex screening process at scale.
- Work with Toptal clients to understand their needs and custom-match them to marketing experts in a way that maximizes success for both the client and the marketing expert.
- Develop training materials and best practice documents to ensure that engagements remain highly successful as marketing talent operations scale.
- Grow matching operations team and build the matching playbooks and KPIs needed to seamlessly operate a complex screening process at scale.
- Identify leading figures in the financial consulting world and collaborate with them to strengthen Toptal’s network of financial consultants.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to the team on strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype, Slack, Email, Phone, etc.
- Strong professional background at the top of the corporate marketing industry and a proven record of successful projects as a marketing expert.
- Professional marketing qualification is preferred.
- Experience working as a freelance marketing expert and hiring marketing experts are both preferred.
- You must have experience building and managing marketing teams.
- You must have exceptional communication and client empathy skills, with equal comfort speaking to startup founders or CMOs of large enterprises across a variety of industries.
- You must have deep knowledge of the marketing space from a technical perspective, including all industry best practices, common talent specializations, and team structures.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines while never sacrificing quality.
- You must have an unparalleled eye for talent and a strong understanding of the differences in knowledge and expertise between marketing experts at the tops of their fields and everyone else.
- Ability to build and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well with individuals across all functions from engineering to sales.
- You must be a self-starter who can define strategy and execute with limited guidance.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor first and foremost to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
October / November
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- Alvaro has worked as lead developer, ERP engineer, founder, consultant, recruiter, and BI specialist for companies such as Kenos, The Bristol Group, and The Wornick Company. His experience also encompasses working for various Brazilian chemical companies and taking part in several international projects throughout Europe. Alvaro participated in the F.I.R.S.T international robotics competition where his team, sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Brazil, placed third. As a college freshman Alvaro placed third at the Brazilian Nationals for the Microsoft Imagine Cup Competition in the Software Design Category. In high school, he was a Top 10 World Finalist. At Toptal, Alvaro combines his passion for computer science with his recruiting finesse to find extraordinarily talented and passionate developers around the globe.
- Raj completed joint Bachelor's and Master's degrees from Oxford in Physics, before ditching oscilloscopes for PowerPoint and getting an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He has spent most of his career in consulting at Marakon, focusing on Corporate Strategy and New Market Entry for Fortune 500 Companies. Most recently, Raj launched Skillbridge, a platform that matches top-tier freelance consultants with companies. Raj has also worked for social impact startups in Kenya with Technoserve.