Lead Editor, Edge Blog
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal Edge will be a brand-new publication featuring in-depth, thought-leading articles by Toptal employees that demonstrate our team’s diversity, expertise, and unique work culture. As the Lead Editor, you will be responsible for building a world-class publication from the ground up, leading the team through launch and then running the site. Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, you will be responsible for defining and executing the publication’s topic strategy, establishing and maintaining an extremely high quality bar for all articles, and positioning the publication for maximum growth and readership. Strategic vision, strong editorial judgment, a collaborative spirit, and drive are key traits for this position. Insatiable curiosity, ability to quickly understand complex topics, attention to detail, and a commitment to accurate, clear, and high-caliber storytelling are also essential.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work to develop the Edge blog’s content strategy, key themes, and editorial guidelines to ensure that the blog grows as a world-class publication for our target audiences.
- Work with the Recruiting Team and Communications Team to identify priority topics on which to publish.
- Pitch story ideas, evaluate pitches from our core team, and help shape articles according the blog’s content strategy.
- Provide constructive feedback to writers and edit multiple feature-length stories per week.
- Shepherd stories from idea to live article, including giving illustration direction to in-house designers.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal, our team, and what sets us apart.
- Onboard onto the Publications team by working closely with the suite of resources available.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of the team and key partners.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with the team to understand what an A+ Toptal article looks like and establish processes for ensuring top quality articles.
- Partner with the team to analyze and understand the function’s key KPIs, along with how these are monitored and impacted.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have built pipelines of resources to stay on the cutting-edge of industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments, and providing intelligence to our team by reviewing relevant articles from competitors and media outlets in the space.
- Regularly produce high-quality content that distinguishes and differentiates Toptal from the competition and drives deep, meaningful engagement from our audiences.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Independently develop and launch comprehensive campaigns aimed at appealing to and engaging key audiences.
- Help demonstrate the expertise and knowledge of Toptal’s world-class core team.
- Demonstrate the value of joining Toptal to those with in-demand skills and expertise.
In the first year, expect to:
- Grow your team to support the expansion of the Edge blog and the development of best-in-class content across multiple formats.
- At least 10 years of experience working as a writer and editor.
- 2+ years of People Management experience.
- Solid understanding of important events and trends across multiple industries.
- Self-starter with the ability to define strategy and execute with limited guidance.
- A phenomenal eye for quality and an absolute unwillingness to compromise on your standards for an A+ article.
- An outstanding ability to explain complex concepts clearly.
- A passion for learning and an interest in immersing oneself in new and unfamiliar topics.
- The ability to work independently and develop ideas proactively.
- Openness to giving and receiving direct feedback and constructive criticism.
- Ability to build and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- An outstanding eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.