Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Lead Frontend Architect at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. You will be working to keep our software technology aligned with the business’s strategic vision and will work across multiple engineering teams to ensure the development of maintainable and scalable products.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
You will work directly with the Chief Software Architect owning the full-cycle of technical solutions across all Toptal products to build a solid tech suite based on SOA. You will work with 20+ engineering teams to find and analyze present and anticipated future technical challenges with their projects or products. You will help build and engage a group of proactive senior engineers (Architecture Guild) to collaboratively design and offer solutions to those challenges. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space, while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
Practical responsibilities involve:
- In collaboration with the Chief Architect and the Architecture Guild, discuss, formulate, and document a vision for all Toptal software products, define and decide development technology and platform, define development standards, tools, processes, etc.
- Detail out and refine higher level architecture decisions into a lower level design.
- Lead implementation of technical and infrastructure initiatives to support the architecture decisions.
- Communicate the vision to the engineering team. Overlook and review the work of the team to ensure that the architecture decisions are being executed and the team is following coding standards and architecture guidelines.
- Consult the engineering team with ongoing projects. Help them align solutions with the Toptal architecture vision and industry best practices. Make software design (application-level) decisions with the team, bring software architecture topics to the attention of the Chief Architect and the Architecture Guild.
- Ensure technical knowledge sharing between development teams on related or similar projects.
- Lead the research on specific topics, experiment with various technologies, and provide recommendations based on your findings.
- Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvement at the architecture level.
- Constantly develop yourself and the team in technology advancements, research new approaches, tools and best practices in the software architecture and design space. Suggest improvements to our technology stack to optimize it for strategic growth and the competitive advantage of Toptal.
- Previous experience working with multiple engineering teams.
- 3+ years of front-end web development experience — preference given to candidates who have maintained or architected large scale applications.
- Clear understanding of software design patterns and principles.
- Experience with SOA, understanding of service breakdown and communication principles.
- Experience with a variety of web application designs, including monolithic and service-oriented applications.
- Track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Hands-on person, working on the ground with the rest of the engineers. Post-technical doesn’t apply to you.
- Experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Strong sense of ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Commitment to quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Highly detail-oriented person. When you start analyzing a problem you cover all the bases and leave no stones unturned.
- Ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do. The only way we lead in Toptal is by example.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-DNI
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's Chief Software Architect. Alexander has an MA in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and has done further research in Computer-Human Interaction at the Institute of Control Sciences of the Russian Academy of Science.
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.