Manager, Strategy Consulting - United States
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a hypergrowth organization that is disrupting the global professional services and talent market. In response to our clients’ overwhelming demand for exceptional talent in new areas, we are expanding the breadth and depth of our offerings to further fuel that growth. As a Manager for Toptal’s Strategy Consulting practice, you will be in a high-impact position to help bring new capabilities to market and further accelerate our growth. You will identify gaps in the market, shape and deliver go-to-market strategies, work directly with clients to advise on the best approach to their biggest problems, engage with talents in our network to set them up for success, and be empowered to work across organizational lines to build the foundation for Toptal’s new practice areas to rapidly scale.
Your proven experience helping clients across industries to solve a range of business problems will enable you to thrive in this role. The right candidate will be adept at simplifying the complex, conducting market research and using data to inform conclusions and shape project approaches, creating compelling presentations and thought leadership for an executive-level audience, and managing a variety of viewpoints to build consensus.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be responsible for enabling the go-to-market strategy for Toptal’s Strategy Consulting practice and supporting the growth of other Management Consulting practices, working closely with Practice Directors. This includes:
- Strategy: Which clients do we target, what business problems do we help them solve, and how do we frame our approach to help solve those problems?
- Offering Development: Develop attractive and scalable offerings that resonate with specific customer segments.
- Go-to-Market: Take services and offerings to market; first, by leading from the front to establish product-market fit with our clients, and then by working with our Practices Operations team to scale adoption and the commercial impact of offerings.
- Marketing: Support the development of thought leadership and campaigns that highlight our competitive differentiation, elevate our reputation in the market, attract great talent to our network, and generate leads for sales.
- Sales: Understand current/future demand and enable, educate, and directly support the sales force with your subject matter expertise to win new business.
- Talent: Ensure our talent network is prepared to meet the demands of the market (e.g., the right skills in the right capacities) as well as foster an ongoing sense of community amongst the network of professionals in this practice area.
- Delivery: Defining/executing “Toptal way” methodologies for key services/solutions.
This role is highly collaborative and will work extremely closely with our Marketing, Sales, and Talent Operations teams to fulfill the above responsibilities.
The successful candidate for this role has a demonstrated capability to:
- Lead in a highly collaborative way.
- Operate in a high-growth environment.
- Be comfortable with rolling up sleeves to do the work and build traction.
- Make data-informed decisions and define key metrics with which you’ll measure progress.
- Walk in the shoes of your audience in order to understand their problems, develop/execute an approach to solve them, and articulate the solution in a clear and compelling way.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal; meet your colleagues.
- Learn about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of our industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow critical teams throughout the organization to learn Toptal’s core operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin developing relationships with key leaders and stakeholders across the organization.
- Dive deeper into the operations of key teams (e.g., Sales, Talent Operations) across the company.
- Build an understanding of the go-to-market strategy for Toptal’s Strategy Consulting practice. This includes supporting high-priority sales opportunities, crafting methodologies, providing subject matter expertise, and forming hypotheses on how you can leverage your experience to accelerate growth.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be a well-integrated member of the organization with positive relationships in Sales (Enterprise/SMB), Marketing, and Talent Operations.
- Be in front of clients on a regular basis to hear from them firsthand.
- Establish direct connections with top talents in our network.
- Begin positively impacting revenue growth within the Strategy Consulting practice.
In the first six months, expect to:
- See a commercial impact from your involvement in early initiatives.
- Establish product-market fit for new offerings, and accelerate scaling of existing offerings.
- Have started taking on more complex, longer-term initiatives to establish the needed infrastructure for scale.
In the first year, expect to:
- Feel like you made the best decision of your career.
- Increase the growth rate of Toptal materially.
- 5+ years of relevant experience with 3+ years of experience in strategy consulting, preferably with at least one year at a Manager / Case Team Lead level.
- Track record of rapid career progression achieved by taking on challenging assignments and exceeding expectations.
- Experience packaging and delivering compelling solutions to clients.
- Refined relationship development & leadership skills with a track record of success in building credibility across all levels of an organization. You can develop positive relationships across the business to partner on key initiatives and gain consensus on processes and strategies.
- Confidence in your analysis abilities, with proven success in delivering results in ambiguous and sophisticated project efforts.
- Skilled in the art of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to take your work, but not yourself, too seriously.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Please Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.
The US-based salary range for this full-time position is $110,000 - $160,000 per year. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Please note that the US-based salary range does not include the value of Toptal’s benefit offerings. In the US, Toptal’s benefit offerings include participation in a 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching contributions; medical, dental, and vision insurance plans in which Toptal pays 100% of the premiums for an employee’s coverage; basic life insurance coverage; short-term and long-term disability coverage; flexible spending accounts, including dependent care and health savings accounts, access to telehealth virtual doctors, an employee assistance program, and flexible paid time off.
This position is also eligible to receive a discretionary bonus.