Market Research Manager
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a Market Research Manager to join our Market Insights team. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of independently running bespoke brand and communications research projects (including brand trackers); influence decision making; and identifying opportunities that support business objectives and strategies. We are looking for someone with a strong foundation in quantitative and qualitative market research along with the ability and desire to expand beyond it, in order to further improve the business understanding of brand awareness and experience, brand positioning, and communication relevance to our target audiences. This person must have the curiosity, work ethic, and experience that allows them to take business questions from stakeholders and translate them into research methodologies and briefs and provide insights that drive decisions.
You must possess excellent analytical abilities in addition to outstanding business acumen. This role requires a self-starter attitude, being comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, with strong attention to detail. You’ll also be extremely people focused, an excellent communicator, and someone who takes pride in delivering results with their team.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Partner with the Marketing leadership team to understand business questions that can be answered through market research.
- Propose appropriate market research methodologies that provide effective insights that drive marketing strategy.
- Own end-to-end execution of in-depth analysis for ad-hoc requests and tracking projects, both quantitative and qualitative such as talent and client brand trackers, concept and ad testing, pre and post campaign analysis.
- Communicate research findings to the Marketing team, applicable business functions, and the executive team.
- Partner with Marketing Strategy, Integrated Marketing, Communications and Creative & Content teams regarding ongoing brand studies using various research methodologies and platforms when appropriate.
- Leverage other data sources to augment findings from market research such as social listening, news and industry trends and reports to provide comprehensive insights.
- Desire to own and lead the Brand & Communications Research element within the Market Insights team with the prospect of developing a team to meet the growing demand of brand & communications insights in the business.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become acquainted with the teams, product, and business operations.
- Familiarize yourself with market research already conducted.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work closely with various stakeholders within marketing on identifying open questions that can be answered with market research.
- Prioritize and propose studies that will drive impactful marketing decisions.
- Get familiar with Toptal’s Talent and Client Marketing Strategies, Integrated Marketing, and Content projects and processes.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start establishing yourself as the go-to resource for all questions related to understanding Toptal’s brand and communications positioning.
- Have a well-defined roadmap of periodic and ad-hoc studies that help drive brand marketing strategy.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Establish a steady cadence of impactful market research insights that are shared across the marketing team and Toptal leadership.
- Develop a strong understanding of Toptal’s client, talent personas, customer journeys and brand strategy that enables you to provide powerful, actionable recommendations that drive marketing strategy including messaging and targeting.
- 7+ years of experience in Market Research - Qualitative and Quantitative at a research agency or client side.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Analytics, Business or related field.
- Experience running primary research end-to-end from understanding research objectives, selecting the appropriate methodology, designing research questionnaires and moderator guides, managing research vendors and sharing insights with stakeholders and executive team.
- Experience in brand and communications research, brand trackers, concept testing, focus groups, in-depth interviews, and online surveys.
- Ability to understand business objectives and identify opportunities to apply market research methodologies to drive decisions to achieve them.
- Ability to work with senior leaders and stakeholders with a broad range of business objectives and questions and translate them into actionable market research proposals.
- Desire and ability to work beyond traditional market research including social listening, news monitoring and competitive analysis to produce multi-faceted, comprehensive perspectives on Toptal’s client and talent personas and competitors.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.