Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold
The Photo Director will produce photographic and video assets for Toptal that dramatize its unique brand story and personality. Reporting to the Head of Brand Design, the Photo Director will lead in the ideation, acquisition, and production of high-quality brand images and videos which will appear across our social media channels and digital spaces. Importantly, the Photo Director will develop a robust process for acquiring high-quality images of the experts that comprise our global network of freelancers.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will serve as the internal point of contact for all photo-video project requests. You will develop an organized and efficient photo-video production process and anticipate the photo-video needs of the brand. You will develop and maintain a rich, ‘always fresh’ library of sharable brand images. In coordination with Community leads and our VP of Events, you will organize photoshoots and maintain photographer contacts around the globe. You will ensure the quality of all photographic imagery and video content used across brand touchpoints. You will also manage the photo-video production budget.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Study Toptal’s four blogs, social media channels, and talent platform to understand how Toptal currently uses photography.
- Meet with our VP of Design, VP of Marketing, Head of Brand Design, and Social Media Manager to understand opportunities and key challenges.
- Meet with our Toptal Community Team to learn about the depth and breadth of our global network.
- Get acquainted with our current photo library and asset management system.
In the first month you will:
- Contract with photographers in several different cities around the world to shoot Toptal Community events.
- Work with our Head of Brand Design to flesh out our photo styles and guidelines.
- Brainstorm and plan out improved ways of acquiring brand images at scale.
- Make contact with video production agencies (or freelancers) who specialize in development of brand videos.
In the first three months you will:
- Produce a photoshoot for a new ad campaign and/or landing page.
- Produce a photoshoot for new leadership images.
- Launch your improved plan for acquiring talent images across the globe.
- Expand our list of go-to (vetted) photographers around the world.
- Produce several short :05-:30 videos according to provided storyboards.
In the first six months you will:
- Establish/implement protocols for acquiring images.
- Take ownership of our image library and establish protocols to fulfill image requests.
- Collaborate with our VP of Marketing and Head of Brand Design to produce a brand video.
- Build up our library of talent images with the goal of having high-quality headshots of every member of our global talent network.
In the first year you will:
- Oversee a team of freelance photographers around the world.
- Manage the operations of a robust photography and video program.
- Contribute to the overall quality and creative expression of the Toptal brand.
- Write an article (with the help of our in-house editors) on producing great brand images at scale.
- 5-7 years of experience as a photo editor.
- Experience with asset management systems.
- Ability to brief and direct freelance photographers.
- Ability to evaluate photography for quality and brand adherence.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Some travel will be required.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As the Head of Brand Design at Toptal, Bret leads an international team of designers and guides the visual expression of Toptal. Bret has led large-scale brand design initiatives for some of the world’s biggest brands and taught graduate-level design courses at Pratt Institute in New York. He has led design teams on both the agency side and in-house. With undergraduate degrees in journalism and fine art plus an MFA in design from Virginia Commonwealth University, he is a dedicated visual communicator and a passionate advocate for design that improves lives.
- As the new VP of Brand Marketing, Corinne is responsible for growing Toptal into a well known and admired brand. She oversees brand strategy, Enterprise/SMB awareness campaigns, content strategy, social media, events, publications, and community engagement. She joined Toptal from Ogilvy & Mather in New York where she partnered with global and national brands including Coca-Cola, IBM, Motorola, Weight Watchers, Johnson & Johnson, L’Oreal, Showtime, Verizon, BlackRock, Time Warner Cable, among others. Corinne is passionate about making brands matter in the world and has spent her career working to do just that.