Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Practice Lead for Project Managers at Toptal, you will accelerate the strong growth of Toptal’s Project Manager vertical, establishing it as the premier global provider of high-end Project Management talent in the world. You will work with our Enterprise and SMB teams to develop go-to-market strategies and messaging, join client meetings to cultivate and close new engagements, develop and refine sustainable client acquisition strategies with our Marketing teams, and more. You will own Toptal’s Project Manager P&L, and will be responsible for setting and hitting ambitious growth goals while ensuring that the Project Manager vertical remains highly profitable.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. However, it will involve regular travel within the United States, and may occasionally involve global travel. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
You will drive revenue growth for the Project Manager vertical across SMB and Enterprise clients. You will be accountable for forecasting and hitting ambitious ARR targets, margins, and a profitable P&L. You will develop sales and marketing strategies for SMB and Enterprise, working with the corresponding teams to execute. You will develop systems to capture client demand and strategies to address that demand, including working with Talent Operations to plan and prioritize new talent specializations. You will work actively with our sales teams on account planning for key clients, joining client meetings as needed to close new business. You will have dotted line reports from Talent Operations, Publications, Growth Marketing, and Sales, and you will make additional hiring decisions as P&L budget allows. You will help define the future of work, building the world’s largest high-end project management talent firm through a fully distributed, highly scalable, quality-focused business model.
In the first week, you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a heavy focus on how verticals operate at Toptal.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities, including SMB, Enterprise, and Talent Operations.
- Go through the project manager screening process.
In the first month, you will:
- Deep dive into all ongoing project manager engagements to understand the nature of work being done.
- Deep dive into all existing project manager talent profiles in the Toptal network.
- Deep dive into all existing project manager clients across both SMB and Enterprise.
- Work with the Growth Marketing team to understand existing project manager client acquisition strategies.
In the first three months, you will:
- Take over ownership of the project manager vertical P&L, driving it to greater revenue while ensuring profitability.
- Begin joining the Enterprise team on select in-person meetings with clients.
- Develop sales strategies for SMB and Enterprise and work with the corresponding teams to execute.
- Develop marketing strategies for SMB and Enterprise and work with the corresponding teams to execute.
- Take on dotted line reporting relationships with domain experts in Growth Marketing, SMB, Enterprise, and Talent Operations.
- Establish a roadmap for future talent specializations.
In the first six months, you will:
- Measure the efficacy of your strategies, iterate, and improve.
- Grow the ARR of the PM vertical by over 150%.
- Make additional hires as needed and as revenue growth allows.
In the first year, you will:
- Grow the ARR of the PM vertical by over 500%.
- Build a small project manager commercial leadership team as needed.
- You must have deep expertise as a former project manager, with a track record of successful projects completed with both Enterprise and SMB clients across a variety of project types and industries.
- Experience across both digital, agile-focused project management (e.g. software delivery), as well as cross-functional, multi-disciplinary project management (e.g. financial transformation projects).
- Experience managing a P&L to drive growth.
- Strong experience selling project management services to both SMB and Enterprise clients.
- Experience building a project management practice to $10MM+ in ARR – either directly or as part of the leadership team driving strategy and execution.
- Experience hiring project managers and building project management teams (e.g. as a program manager), with strong knowledge of how to match project manager capabilities to role needs.
- You must be a strong strategic thinker. You must be capable of understanding market demand and use this to formulate strategies for client acquisition, sales, and talent.
- Hustle. You understand how to build from the ground up and will dive in and do whatever is needed to drive growth.
- Resourcefulness. You should think about Toptal Project Managers as your own business. You should be a self-starter who thrives on the freedom and accountability that comes with leading your portion of the business.
- Passion. Our goal is to change the way organizations build teams and how the world’s top talent finds opportunities. You have to be passionate about what we do, and be a strong advocate of the change we are driving in the market.
- Communication. Our clients are global, our talent community is global, and our core team is global. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to speak to a wide range of clients and team members, across a wide range of geographies.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of project manager clients, talent, and finances.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself. You also take personal accountability for the quality of Toptal’s project manager service.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-DNI
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As the VP of Enterprise, Michael is responsible for driving the rapid scaling of our Enterprise business by establishing processes, service offerings and strategies to take our business to the next level. The Toptal Enterprise team is responsible for developing relationships with leading organizations around the world, and helping those organizations leverage the power of Toptal’s global talent community. With a consulting and entrepreneurial background, through his various leadership roles at organizations such as Accenture and Slalom Consulting, Michael has worked with teams around the world, serving clients at some of the world’s largest companies.