Content Strategy Lead, Product
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a seasoned content strategist who is passionate about building high-quality digital products? Toptal’s Content Team is in need of a Content Strategy Lead, Product who will lead initiatives to forward our content strategy across all Toptal products, including the Toptal site, platform, mobile applications, and more. You will be our primary lead product content strategist and writer as well as manage a small and nimble team that will grow over time, reporting into the VP of Content Marketing & Marketing Operations.
You will focus in particular on Toptal’s core product and platform, as well as any other key initiatives from the Product team that require content strategy. Projects can include enhancing existing features, rolling out new features and experiences, and helping to decide taxonomies and naming conventions for system labels/statuses.
For consideration, we require that applicants submit a PDF portfolio that showcases a variety of content work, including product/application (UI) interfaces you’ve led and created (e.g., a CRM, CMS, BPM, SaaS product with a web interface, etc.), as well as any other types of business content strategy work you would like to highlight.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Lead initiatives forwarding the creative strategy of Toptal messaging across a variety of areas, including the Toptal site, platform, mobile apps, and more.
- Inspire creative teams, take smart risks, and foster great ideas and elegant UX solutions.
- Lead the overall workload of the product content team to ensure successful prioritization and completion of projects on time.
- Manage and contribute to general content strategy requests. These will be ad-hoc projects that can come from any area of the business, including growth, sales, marketing, operations, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other teams as appropriate (Product Design, Product Management, etc.) on cross-functional initiatives.
- Define and apply copy standards across the Toptal platform, ensuring that all users have a clear and consistent experience.
- Create provocative marketing language for our experiences to help position Toptal as a forward-thinking, unique, intelligent, innovative company ready to solve our clients’ business challenges.
- Help build the future of our Content team at Toptal, and help lead the content creation of our experiences on behalf of our Brand Marketing team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the other members of the content and design teams.
- Begin to learn the high-level principles of Toptal’s brand voice and strategic messaging.
- Immerse yourself in our product initiatives in partnership with our Design and Content teams.
- Integrate yourself into the Brand Marketing function.
In the first month, expect to:
- Meet other business partners across Toptal that you’ll work with.
- Dive into all product initiatives with your team and begin to oversee and improve our work.
- Clarify and pressure-test different processes and workflows you’ll use when collaborating with other functions.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully integrated into Toptal.
- Have finished several major initiatives that you’ll be proud of.
- Strategize and roadmap future projects the team will take on.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Strategize how to scale the work you do as Toptal grows.
- Have helped launch a new app and other exciting product features and enhancements.
- 10+ years experience in content strategy, and 3+ years managing direct reports.
- Well-versed with how quality digital products are developed and have a clear point of view on how specific content decisions can make or break a user experience.
- A strong creative mind and the power to connect business strategies to content strategy.
- Ability to think about and write content focused on nuanced technical concepts relevant to development, design, finance, and project/product management. Technical writing experience nice to have.
- Experience working with product teams, including working with UX/UI designers, information architecture, responsive design, and SEO considerations.
- Ability to work with stakeholders to understand detailed requirements and build copy flows for complete user experiences that meet the needs and vision of business partners.
- Exceptional clarity of thought in communication and analysis, and the power to explain complex user experiences in simple terms.
- A strong knack for communication strategy and an eye for the long-term scalability of content decisions.
- Outstanding creativity and the capability to visualize strategic product solutions and bring them to life with messaging.
- Experience as a SaaS product manager is a plus, but not required.
- A steadfast, creative problem solver who is unwilling to compromise on the clarity and impact of messaging/copy.
- A strong understanding of the components of compelling, action-inducing communications. You will need to write marketing headlines that grab attention and make people think about Toptal in an exciting way.
- Conceptualize copy and content from scratch as well as make existing copy stronger and more compelling.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, perfect grammar, a command of the English language, as well as an eagle eye to catch minutia errors or inconsistencies in our work.
- The ability to voice your position and decisions while being open to the opinions of others to arrive at the best possible outcome and UX.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.