Product Manager, Internal Tools & Systems
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We are looking for a technically-minded Product Manager to conceive of and execute initiatives and experiments to improve and scale our back-end services and internal tools. If you have a passion for releasing features that improve internal efficiency and power site-wide systems, we encourage you to apply! Our ideal candidate will partner with employees in Brand, Growth Marketing, Design, Engineering, and Sales to improve the usability and functionality of the tools these stakeholders use to create new website experiences and edit existing ones. On any given week, you may be implementing features that allow our blog teams to more effectively manage their content, creating back-end services that power image and content selection, or overseeing the integration of third-party products into our existing platforms. This person will guide and prioritize the work of a team of engineers, designers, UX researchers, data analysts, and systems architects focused on this mission.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with stakeholders across Brand, Content, Paid Media, and Marketing teams to develop and release features focused on improving the efficiency and usability of our internal tools and platforms.
- Conceive of and implement services that power user-facing elements on the Toptal website.
- Collaborate with UX researchers and designers to create intuitive user interfaces for internal systems.
- Facilitate meetings and workshops that drive collaboration, prioritization, and most of all maximize impact, through excellent decision-making.
- Build effective relationships across a wide range of teams in the business.
- Establish a shared understanding of business priorities and strategy with your stakeholders.
- Define and prioritize detailed objectives and specifications for initiatives ranging from integrating third-party software and systems into our site architecture to creating a more usable CMS for our content teams.
- Oversee creative development of design specifications, including ensuring that all work is high quality and meets the business goals of the initiative.
- Collaborate with your Engineering team to improve internal stakeholder systems, and ensure execution surpasses specifications.
- Intelligently conduct high-quality and detailed qualitative and quantitative research to evolve and inform the direction of product development.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal - meet teams and people you will have long-term working relationships with.
- Gain a fundamental understanding of the teams, product, and business operations.
- Work closely with the Content, Brand, Paid Media, Marketing, and architecture teams to dive deep into our history, assets, roadmap, and unexplored opportunities that you will be able to lead.
- Independently start to study and learn the Toptal platform and product suite.
In the first month, expect to:
- Take ownership of initiatives at improving our CMS, driving them to execution with the teams, validating they are delivered accurately, and measuring success.
- Collaborate on the execution of larger initiatives, ensuring designs or architecture schematics solve internal user pain points and that those initiatives are well defined and are delivered to specification.
- Start attending the relevant agile rituals such as planning, daily standups, and retros, getting acquainted with Toptal processes through doing.
- Begin to dive into user behavior using our analytics tools and platforms to provide insight into the Growth team and Growth Product Management team to inform the product roadmap.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Drive pivotal initiatives forward, coordinating teams where required.
- Co-design the roadmap, using analytics, research, and strategy.
- Contribute ideas and facilitate workshops and discussions for new experiments and initiatives.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Demonstrate a clear measure of your impact through business results, your relationships, and execution excellence.
In the first year, expect to:
- Drive significant impact to Toptal’s growth marketing internal tools, using the latest thinking in user experience, system architecture, and efficiency optimization.
- A BA/BS degree, preferably with a focus on Engineering or Business.
- 4+ years of professional experience working within product management.
- A background in development or a strong understanding of website architecture concepts is a must.
- Experience working with design and engineering teams, driving the development of high-quality internal tools and systems that effectively accomplish business goals.
- A knack for creating simple and effective user interfaces and the ability to communicate ideas and direction through mockups and wireframes.
- A foundational understanding of design thinking, user research, and user testing.
- An extremely sharp eye for detail and a strong sense of what types of creative products will be effective at helping other teams meet their objectives.
- First-class communication skills. Because this is a remote role, excellent written and verbal communication is of critical importance.
- Ability to thrive in rapidly changing environments, with a strong willingness and ability to eliminate ambiguity and execute.
- You are the type of person that craves accountability rather than shuns it.
- A demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Openness to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.