Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-shelf engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
As a Program Manager at Toptal, you will work in close collaboration with Product Management and lead software engineering teams in the delivery of features and enhancements to a large and complex custom platform, from inception to deployment. You will own the improvement of program and project level practices for the engineering teams, and ensure organizational visibility into milestones, velocity, project plans, and product roadmaps.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Act as project manager for multiple development teams, ensuring a high-quality of User Stories, Release and Sprint Backlog Grooming, Planning, and Retros.
- Collaborate with Product and Development teams, finding innovative ways to deliver on team commitments and milestones.
- Provide Development and Sr. Management ongoing status against delivery of commitments, identify and actively mitigate risks.
- Own driving feature development through every stage of the agile software development lifecycle.
- Facilitate negotiations between stakeholders, product owners, and development in order to surface highest priority work and protect/support the team’s roadmap.
- Manage resources on multiple technical projects and ensure schedules, milestones, and priorities are compatible with technology and business goals.
- Assist Product Managers in prioritizing activities across multiple projects and development initiatives.
- Regularly report on project and program status to executive leadership and other stakeholders.
- Create project and program plans.
- Assist Product Managers in creating Product Roadmaps.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack.
- A deep background in all aspects of software engineering and the development lifecycle for enterprise applications development, engineering and/or operations at scale, in Agile and Kanban environments.
- Ability to drive large, complex programs and solutions using virtual teams.
- Adept at pragmatically implementing process in unstructured environments, and committed to continuous improvement
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills, written communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Comfortable managing changing priorities and building consensus across varied stakeholder groups.
- Great analytical problem solving skills and decision-making abilities.
- Problem solver and technology enthusiast.
- Willingness to learn and innovate in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work through ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Hector has led product organizations at companies of all sizes, from 20-person startups to 100K+ employee corporations, spearheading the development of new company-defining products from concept to launch as well as significantly growing existing products. He has an Electrical Engineering & Computer Science degree from UC Berkeley and began his career in engineering roles at Cisco and Veraz Networks before transitioning into lead product positions at Wyse Technologies, Dell, Loggly, and now Toptal.
- Alexander started as a senior developer at NetCracker Technology Corp. before moving to a technical manager position, leading teams of up to 10 developers. He then switched his focus to start-ups, and, as the technical co-founder, implemented several projects from scratch. For a year he was employed as CTO at glavskidka.ru, where he was involved in both business processes and development, while building the development team and the product from the ground up. At Toptal, Alexander combines his experience in both corporate and start-up environments to lead internal technological development. Alexander has a MS in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and does further research in Computer-Human Interaction while completing a PhD at the Institute of Control Sciences of RAS.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.