Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-shelf engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
You will be responsible for developing and leading Toptal’s strategic initiatives and partnerships with organizations or individuals that work directly or indirectly with the public sector on a federal level. You will work closely with Toptal’s executive team and team leaders across the company to identify and develop strong, high-value relationships with key people in Washington D.C. that strengthen Toptal’s brand and allow the private sector to take advantage of the considerable resources at Toptal’s disposal.
This is a remote position, but qualified applicants must reside in the Washington D.C. area.
- Identify large organizations or agencies in the public sector or associated with the public sector who are strategically positioned to accelerate the growth of Toptal’s brand and business, with a focus on organizations associated with labor, technology, education.
- Develop strong, long-term partnerships with the relevant parties at target organizations.
- Plan, execute, and maintain a variety of large-scale business development initiatives at the intersection of the private and public sectors.
- Collaborate with the executive team to build and maintain a pipeline of relationships with potential partners, taking responsibility for all stages of the relationship.
- Organize, attend, and represent Toptal at events providing value to top officials and organizations in the Washington D.C. area.
- Close partnership agreements while properly balancing company goals, speed, and potential impact.
- Evaluate the benefits and risks of new partnerships and government relationships across a variety of different potential areas of impact.
- Take primary responsibility for the execution and integration of new partnerships.
- Track, report on, and optimize the performance of partnerships and individual relationships, including identifying issues as they arise, assessing possible solutions, and executing those solutions.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members on government-related partnership initiatives.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- A strong history of building partnerships with agencies or organizations that are associated with the US government.
- Experience with labor, technology, and education-related public policy at the federal level, including a strong understanding of the major organizations and political trends in these spaces.
- You must be an energetic, proactive self-starter who is highly capable of identifying and executing the necessary steps needed to drive forward high-value initiatives with limited direction.
- Ability to identify and form relationships with relevant decision makers in the government community.
- An exceptional understanding of organizational structures, priorities, and areas of expertise.
- A tremendous talent for evaluating the ramifications of prospective partnerships and relationships across a number of different planes and the ability to prioritize initiatives appropriately according to company goals.
- An exceptional network of contacts within the government community and the ability to leverage that network to facilitate new opportunities.
- While a technical background is not required, you must be excellent at using data and quantitative approaches for decision making.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.
- Saalim specializes in driving growth in organizations. In the corporate world, he was a Senior Executive at News Corp (NYSE:NWS) and Trinity Mirror (LON:TNI), where he led digital growth and transformation. As a Freelance Business Consultant, he's advised the Daily Mail (LON:DMGT) and Telegraph Media Group. His entrepreneurial career, mostly in Marketing or CTO roles, ranges from the cloud security company ScanSafe, acquired by Cisco for $183m, to Skillbridge, a talent marketplace for business consulting that was acquired by Toptal. His career started at the Boston Consulting Group. He was educated at Oxford, Cambridge, and the LSE.