Publications Outreach Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an Outreach Specialist, you will prospect, qualify, and engage with relevant PR representatives, top executives, world-renowned thought leaders, elite celebrities, and Toptal talent network members to participate in our blog content. You will collaborate with the Director of Outreach, Publications to create a sustainable and scalable outreach program with the goal of expanding our database of world-class authors and contributors. You will own the process of maintaining and documenting our outreach strategy and contributor database.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be responsible for prospecting contacts based on relevancy to each blog’s strategy as well as an individual’s status as a world-class thought leader, notable industry figures, or Fortune 500 executive. You will be responsible for reaching out and trying to establish a connection, as well as working closely with Toptal editors to pitch content ideas and participation to those contacts. You will also be responsible for monitoring inbound communications, building relationships and partnerships, and following up effectively.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal - meet with the teams and people you will have long-term working relationships with.
- Familiarize yourself with the structure and operations of the Publications team.
- Work closely with the Lead Editors to get a fundamental understanding of the teams, blogs, and publications operations.
- Work closely with the team to dive deep into our history, assets, roadmap, and unexplored opportunities that you will be able to lead.
In the first month, expect to:
- Take ownership of strategic projects at their initial stages or join relevant existing initiatives.
- Dive into how we create content and conduct outreach to understand our process completely and craft new outreach methods to share with the team. We only hire hands-on people who take initiative.
- Understand the ins and outs of your role completely.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Launch dozens of outreach campaigns.
- Build up relationships with PR representatives, executives, thought leaders, celebrities, and Toptal talent network members.
- Propose unique outreach project ideas.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become an outreach expert, capable of tackling any outreach project like a pro.
- Be a success story in the Publications team. You will be able to show concrete, bottom-line impact thanks to your projects, and you will be imagining the next batch of even more ambitious projects to drive world-class contributors to participate in Toptal Publications content.
- 2+ years of recent experience on outbound or outreach campaigns, preferably in a public relations or talent booking role.
- Experience in publishing preferred.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Experience keeping track of contacts, leads, and communications, and being able to report on them when needed.
- You must be able to thrive with deadlines and competitive goals.
- You must be comfortable with using G Suite apps such as Sheets and Docs.
- You must be comfortable collaborating with a team to get tasks completed as well as working independently.
- Genuine enthusiasm and a can-do attitude.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.