Ruby Software Engineer in Test
Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold. If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
Toptal is a quality-first company - we always strive to make the result of top quality. In Toptal, quality is the responsibility of the whole team led by the Software Engineers in Test. We believe that top quality can only be reached by assuring this on multiple levels: product, engineering and team.
In product, software Software Engineers in Test work closely with product managers to ensure the team builds the proper software. The software that reaches company goals and brings value to its users.
In engineering, Software Engineers in Test support fast and reliable delivery of software, leading and coordinating software assessment and testing activities.
In team, Software Engineers in Test lead process transformations to improve quality. They also coach the teammates for better testing.
We believe that quality assurance is more about communication and collaboration rather than documentation and processes, so software engineers in test wear multiple hats in the team.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
As a Software Engineer in Test at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to work on any of our various projects (e.g., full-blown web apps, REST APIs, client-side apps, mobile and desktop apps), with a team of highly skilled quality assurance and test automation experts from around the world.
You’ll get to work with UI, contract and model-based testing tools use technologies like Cucumber, Watir, Capybara, Selenium, Pact, Appium, etc. every day.
You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space, while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
You will work closely with product team, stakeholders and users since the preliminary planning work, understand the product very well, from different perspectives and have a holistic view over it. Plan and deliver new features.
You will work closely with Team Leaders, Engineering Managers and Product managers to ensure the value of the team’s work.
You will encourage and teach developers to design and implement tests in the most efficient way. Ensure a high level testability or coverage, sufficient monitoring solutions and debugging mechanisms. Work to maintain and improve our automated test suites.
You will build tools and libraries the simplify the development and improve the quality of the work.
In the first week you will:
- Join our bootcamp team and begin your introduction into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month you will:
- Transition from our bootcamp team and begin working with your first teams at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include daily standups and the once a month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months you will:
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on.
- (Optionally) Participate in development of more broad solutions as a part of guild (e.g. Quality Guild)
In the first six months you will:
- Develop automated test in order to ensure that our products support flawlessly our business and behave at sky-high quality standards.
- Develop your teams trust to make strategic decisions in regards to tools or methods involved in the QA process.
In the first year you will:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team (optionally), in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Take joy in deployment to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team or other individuals while working in a distributed model.
- You must have a solid knowledge of OOP, databases, development and test methodologies.
- Understand core software testing concepts, paradigms and approaches.
- Experience with ruby testing ecosystem (rspec, watir, cucumber) is a plus
- Experience with Cypress is a plus.
- Experience with service-oriented architecture or microservices is a plus
- Eagerness to do what is need to get things done, whether it means taking on different responsibilities for a period of time.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Be able to train your team on software testing
- Self-organization - nobody will tell you exactly how to work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Have outside of the box mindset.
- Critical thinking and enthusiastic skepticism.
- You must be a fast learner but also enthusiastic about sharing your valuable knowledge with the team.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.