Ruby Software Engineer in Test
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a quality-first company - we always strive to make the result of top quality. In Toptal, quality is the responsibility of the whole team led by the Software Engineers in Test. We believe that top quality can only be reached by assuring this on multiple levels: product, engineering, and team.
- In product, Software Engineers in Test work constantly with Product Managers to ensure the team builds the proper software. The software that reaches company goals and brings value to its users.
- In engineering, Software Engineers in Test support fast and reliable delivery of software, leading and coordinating software assessment and testing activities.
- In team, Software Engineers in Test lead process transformations to improve quality. They also coach the teammates for better testing.
We truly believe that quality assurance is more about communication and collaboration rather than documentation and processes, so software engineers in test wear different hats in the team.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
As a Software Engineer in Test at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a groundbreaking, industry-defining company crafting the future of work. By joining our team, you will have the opportunity to work on any of our various projects (e.g., full-blown web apps, REST APIs, client-side apps, mobile, and desktop apps), with a team of highly skilled quality assurance and test automation experts from around the world.
- You’ll get to work with UI, contract and model-based testing tools; use technologies like Cucumber, Watir, Capybara, Selenium, Pact, Appium, etc. every day.
- You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
- You will work closely with the product team, stakeholders and users since the preliminary planning work, understand the product very well, from different perspectives and have a holistic view over it. Plan and deliver new features.
- You will work closely with Team Leaders, Engineering Managers, and Product Managers to ensure the value of the team’s work.
- You will encourage and teach developers to design and implement tests in the most efficient way. Ensure high-level testability or coverage, sufficient monitoring solutions, and debugging mechanisms. Work to maintain and improve our automated test suites.
- You will build tools and libraries to simplify the development and improve the quality of the work.
In the first week, expect to:
- Join our boot-camp team and begin your introduction into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Transition from our boot-camp team and begin working with your first teams at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include daily standups and the once a month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on. (Optionally) Participate in development of more broad solutions as a part of the guild (e.g. Quality Guild).
In the first six months, expect to:
- Develop automated tests in order to ensure that our products support flawlessly our business and behave at sky-high quality standards.
- Develop your team’s trust to make strategic decisions in regard to tools or methods involved in the QA process.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and become part of our interviewing team (optionally), in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Take part on deployment to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team or other individuals while working in a distributed model.
- You must have proven knowledge of OOP, databases, development and test methodologies.
- Understand core software testing concepts, paradigms, and approaches.
- Experience with the Ruby testing ecosystem (RSpec, Watir, Cucumber) will be considered a plus.
- Experience with Cypress is also a plus.
- Experience with service-oriented architecture or microservices will be beneficial.
- Eagerness to do what is needed to get things done, whether it means tackling different responsibilities for a period of time.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Be able to train your team on software testing.
- Self-organization - nobody will tell you exactly how to work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You should be highly detail-oriented.
- Have an outside-of-the-box attitude.
- Critical thinking and enthusiastic skepticism.
- Be a fast learner but also passionate about sharing your valuable knowledge with the team.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.