React Engineer at SMB Leads team
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal’s website receives tens of millions of visits per year. The SMB Leads team is responsible for acquiring leads from small and medium-sized businesses and does this by constantly improving our public site. Every improvement increases the number of clients, which ultimately means more success for the company.
If you love making a world-class looking page, making it render a few milliseconds faster, and optimizing every part of it to maximize conversions, then we are your team. If you are looking to build something entirely new as it relates to branding, technology, and user experience this is the role for you. We work very quickly to build amazing webpages from scratch and implement them into production while maintaining high standards of quality, collaboration, and ethics.
We have an in-house CMS system built using Ruby on Rails. We’d look for you to contribute to redeveloping our legacy code into a new system and help improve our existing front-end architecture. We are also a very data-driven team and consistently seek ways to create better outcomes, by understanding and adjusting to user behavior.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Create, extend, and modify page templates on our CMS.
- Translate designs into performant and maintainable code.
- Build cross-browser solutions optimized for a wide range of devices.
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features.
- Review the work of coworkers and have your code reviewed regularly - quality is top priority!
- Be a great teammate: communicate your status and progress, brainstorm ideas, and continuously improve your team.
- Ensure that all SEO best practices are implemented.
- Mentor team members, provide feedback and always be improving.
In the first week, expect to:
- Join our Bootcamp team and begin your introduction into Toptal.
- Learn about our products’ tech stack and architecture.
- Familiarize yourself with our working processes and product backlog.
- Get introduced to the Growth Engineering teams.
In the first month, expect to:
- Transition from our Bootcamp team into your team at Toptal.
- Complete onboarding training and assessment of the internal systems.
- Start contributing to the development of our pages, from their creation on the CMS to the front-end side.
- Get a deeper understanding of your team’s technology, processes, and product pipeline.
- Have regular sessions with your Team Lead that will help you along the way.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively contribute to software planning, development, and maintenance in your team.
- Be ready to propose improvements to your team’s codebase and processes.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Participate actively in technical initiatives in your team.
- Drive improvements to your team’s codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a thorough understanding of your team’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future deliverables.
- Develop your career plan at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal and team newcomers.
- 2+ years experience developing production-grade React applications
- 3 years experience developing HTML5 and CSS3
- 2+ years working proficiency in Ruby on Rails
- Fluency in Agile and Scrum
- Fluency in automated tests using Jest, React Testing Library, and others
- Fluency in CSS pre- and post-processing
- Experience with GraphQL and Apollo (nice to have)
- Experience with Styled Components (nice to have)
- Fluency in JS frameworks outside the React ecosystem (nice to have)
- Knowledge of SEO and/or Page performance will also be valued.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.