Security Operations Engineer
As a SecOps Engineer at Toptal, you will work with Development, IT Operations, and Infrastructure teams to provide the tools, environment, and guidance for building high-quality secure applications. You will contribute to software design and implementation decisions. You will build libraries and utilities to help developers keep software secure. You will conduct assessments, automate operational workflows, and hold security training.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Find vulnerabilities / security weaknesses in our apps. This includes analysis of code and dependencies of Toptal projects (both web & mobile projects).
- Run secure code assessments and advise developers on remediation.
- Manage occurring attacks and security events.
- Help our Tech X team with decisions on software design, architecture solutions.
- Contribute to application designs and solutions and assist with code reviews.
- Security certification for the company.
- Improve security awareness and education.
- Maintain static and dynamic security analysis tools and integrate them into the CI pipeline.
- Provide timely and adequate information about the current state of Toptal security.
- Develop corporate security practices, policies, and standards.
- Respond to any ongoing or completed incidents, help teams to find the root cause, and set possible action points
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
In the first month you will:
- Get familiar with the tools we use to assess and improve the security of our applications.
- Complete necessary training.
- Deliver your first tickets through to completion.
- Begin collaborating with other teams.
In the first three months you will:
- Track the latest vulnerabilities in used frameworks and technologies and communicate to developers on how to mitigate them.
- Improve the security audit of our applications (integrate new security tools, scale current solutions to more projects, create dashboards with metrics, and set up automated notifications for our teams).
- Work on achieving team OKRs.
In the first six months you will:
- Take part in making design/implementation decisions.
- Investigate security events and carry-on follow-up actions.
- Suggest and implement improvements for our processes and tools.
- Hold security awareness & education sessions and develop appropriate materials for the whole company.
In the first year you will:
- Assist in preparation for certification against one of the modern security standards (ISO 27001, SOC1 or other).
- 3+ years’ experience as a Back-end Engineer or as a QA Automation Engineer, ideally working with Ruby on Rails, with a keen interest in Software Security.
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Docker and Jenkins, as well as cloud platforms (preferably GCP).
- Preferred knowledge of OWASP methodology and web and mobile vulnerabilities.
- Ideally be familiar with SAST and DAST tools like BurpSuite, OWASP ZAP, NMap, Metasploit, Kali Linux, etc.
- Ability to solve complex problems by considering multiple solutions, weighing them, and deciding on the best course of action.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Be open to receiving constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.