Senior Back-end Engineer, Screening Ops Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re looking for hardworking Ruby engineers with some React experience to support us in reaching the next level.
As members of the Screening Ops team, we reinvent the Toptal Network recruitment process by applying smart software solutions to it. We believe that by providing an outstanding experience to candidates for our network we can attract the best talent in the world. This ultimate goal is in the hands of a small team of highly skilled engineers with a dedicated Product Manager. Day to day we try to understand our users, their needs, and we implement new experiments to make Toptal’s screening process better than ever.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby code, which is easy to maintain and debug.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features.
- Review the work of colleagues.
- As an excellent teammate, continuously improve our team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate status and progress.
- Mentor team members, provide feedback, and continuously improve as a professional.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
- Shadow team members to see the essence of the Toptal business model.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Understand our Toptal business.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a strong knowledge of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing essential methodologies.
- Care about multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Have experience with modern Front-end tooling and frameworks - React knowledge is a plus.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Solve complex problems by considering multiple solutions, weigh them in, and decide on the best course of action.
- Thrive on providing and receiving honest and constructive feedback.
- Special individual contributors will thrive at Toptal. We are not here just to tell other people what to do.