Senior Back-end Engineer, Talent Leads Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Full-stack Engineer at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for hardworking Ruby developers to support us in reaching the next level. We use React to render client-facing pages and to run various experiments.
By joining the Talent Leads team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of meaningful Ruby/React projects with a team of highly skilled team members from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible every single day, and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
The bulk of the work we do every day is a mix of Back-end development in Ruby and Front-end work in React. If you have strong back-end skills and are looking for an opportunity to grow your front-end development skills, this is the right opportunity for you. You will focus 70-90% on back-end tasks and 10-30% on front-end tasks.
We are a product team delivering value to the end-users working closely with the business. You will be working directly on the Talent facing pages used by thousands of potential Toptal freelancers. You will have the opportunity to develop new features and improve the quality of the existing codebase.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we build expertly designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use. This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby code which is easy to maintain and debug.
- Write, update, integrate your features with React front-end components.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features, while reviewing the work of colleagues.
- As a great teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate statuses and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and grow as a part of the team.
- Actively participate in meetings including Scrum meetings, squad meetings, pair programming sessions, etc.
- Learn new concepts and technologies.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet mentors that will help you during your onboarding month.
- Start participating in company-wide training sessions.
- Setup your local environment and become familiar with our tech stack.
- Shadow in a talent recruitment call to see the essence of Toptal’s business model.
- Build your first pull request.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns and libraries we use and develop.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Contribute to our product development.
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
- Deliver value in a regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Be able to not only solve complex problems, but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them and decide on the best course of action.
- Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvements and suggest improvements in our technology stack.
- Help mentor engineers in their career progression.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Meet your team in person during an off-site.
- Give and receive 360 feedback in a yearly review cycle.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a confirmed grasp of object-oriented programming, clean code, and best testing practices.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Previous experience working with multiple engineering teams.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Knowledge of GraphQL.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Thrive on providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.