Full-stack Engineer, Talent Engagement Acquisition Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for smart Ruby developers ideally with some React experience to help us reach the next level!
By joining the Talent Engagement Acquisition team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of meaningful Ruby/React initiatives with a team of highly skilled authorities from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible every single day, and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
Our team’s mission is to give our network talents the tools to discover, apply, and interview for relevant jobs in a fast and easy way, while maximizing their chances of getting hired.
The bulk of the work we do every day is a mix of Back-end work in Ruby and Front-end work in React. If you have back-end skills and if you are comfortable getting your hands dirty in the front-end as well, this is the right opportunity for you.
We are a product team delivering value to the end-users working closely with the business. You will be working directly on the Talent portal used by thousands of Toptal freelancers. You will have the opportunity to develop new features and improve the quality of the existing codebase.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we build expertly designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features, while reviewing the work of colleagues.
- As a true teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate statuses, and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback and grow as a part of the team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Join our team, where you will be introduced to Toptal’s practices and processes.
- Start participating in company-wide training sessions.
- Setup your local environment and get familiar with our tech stack.
- Create your first pull request.
In the first month, expect to:
- Familiarize yourself with the team’s business domain.
- Contribute to our product development.
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Suggest and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives in our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, and performance
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Have 2+ years of web development experience with Ruby and React.
- Have a confirmed grasp of object-oriented programming, clean code, and best testing practices.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Knowledge of GraphQL is a plus.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Thrive on providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. Our team members are not here just to tell other people what to do.