Senior Back-end Engineer, Traffic Acquisition Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Traffic Acquisition (Eng) Team focuses on SEO initiatives on Toptal’s public pages, working on the elements leveraging Google search. We work alongside SMB Leads Team on page performance, accessibility, and landing page creation focused on growing Toptal’s largest lead generation and revenue channel.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby and Ruby on Rails code, which is easy to maintain and debug.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- As a true teammate, you continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
- Get familiar with our front-end architecture and all the tools that we use.
- Learn about the processes that we follow.
In the first month, expect to:
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
- Start working on regular team tasks related to the migration and become familiar with the business domain.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start contributing to the technical topics as well, understand the application, and general front-end architecture.
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest front-end technologies.
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Become a key part of the team, be responsible for certain areas, and help others inside and outside of the team.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside our team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a strong knowledge of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing essential methodologies.
- Care about multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Previous experience in GraphQL is a plus.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Seek complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them in, and decide on the best course of action.
- Grow with providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
- Special individual contributors will thrive at Toptal. We are not here just to tell other people what to do.