Senior Corporate Counsel
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
This is a newly-created, fully-remote, senior-level, in-house Legal Counsel position that will be primarily responsible for drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts with Toptal’s larger and more sophisticated Enterprise clients as well as its vendors. The Senior Corporate Counsel will also provide legal counsel and have compliance advice responsibilities for Toptal’s various functional units in areas such as employment and HR-related matters, data privacy (GDPR, CCPA) issues, and OFAC compliance.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated commercial contracting expertise (preferably in the staffing or contingent worker area), substantial experience supporting fast-paced business negotiations, outstanding legal and business acumen, excellent customer service and leadership skills, and a positive, proactive, “can-do” attitude. She or he must be a self-starter and bring her or his expertise to bear to identify, manage, and mitigate risks by a business-practical application of Toptal’s policies, processes, and procedures. The ability to understand risks, balance competing interests, and provide appropriate advice is critical to success for this position. She or he will have significant responsibility for the development and on-going review of relevant processes, guidelines, and procedures, including those relating to Toptal’s commercial contracting practices.
This is an important, client-facing position. Like all roles in Toptal’s Legal department, it requires collaboration with others across many functional areas but ultimately will entail direct work more than managing the work of others. It is expected that the Senior Corporate Counsel will cultivate productive relationships with our clients and business partners and foster a customer-centric approach that is simultaneously protective of Toptal’s legal and business interests and reputation.
In the first two weeks expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal and the team.
- Obtain an understanding of organizational tools and processes.
In the first month expect to:
- Begin to familiarize yourself with our commercial Enterprise agreements and the organizational best practices relating to negotiation points.
In the first three months expect to:
- Begin to take on assignments and negotiations with increasing levels of responsibility and complexity, with a focus on familiarity with recognizing and implementing Toptal’s best practices, primarily on negotiations based on Toptal’s contract templates or vendors.
- Develop strong personal relationships with other legal team members and with the sales team to help drive the documentation that supports our sales and talent network efforts.
In the first six months expect to:
- Be prepared to lead increasingly more complex negotiations and finalize agreements with our commercial partners, with a focus on negotiations centered on client contract templates.
- Begin to get involved with contract interpretation issues, including involvement with client dispute resolution matters.
- Possibly assist with various HR-related issues, that may include job offer letters, severance agreements, compensation matters, and commission plans.
In the first year expect to:
- Be viewed as a go-to expert in the commercial contract negotiation space, with additional expertise developed in one or more areas such as employment, data privacy, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Continue to identify areas to improve efficiency and uplevel the speed and efficiency of the negotiation process.
- Be called upon to assist Sales and Account Management teams with interpretation and implementation of contract terms and resolution of client queries and disputes.
- Admission to a U.S. State or the District of Columbia bar.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience across both law firm and corporate settings.
- Experience structuring and advising clients on complex transactions, including master service agreements, statements of work, NDAs, licensing agreements, and partnership agreements.
- Strong experience negotiating and drafting commercial contracts.
- Experience dealing with global employment law, including independent contracting and HR issues.
- Excellent customer service (internal and external), interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- The ability to quickly master and integrate legal, business, technical, and practical analysis.
- An extremely sharp eye for detail with exceptional business judgment and a knack for coming up with creative solutions.
- The ability to support and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.