Senior Director of Market Insights
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Senior Director of Market Insights, you will be responsible for delivering strategic insights and recommendations that drive business growth, marketing strategy, and service offerings. You will accomplish this by collaborating with the relevant executive and functional team members and utilizing both internal and external research and data. Your primary focus will be to build a team of research experts that help the company better understand key audiences that will strengthen our brand and growth efforts.
You will be expected to work with your team of Insights Managers to deliver a regular cadence of insights that support the company’s priority initiatives, marketing goals, and cross-functional needs. To thrive in this role, you will have a passion for turning information into actionable insights that inspire exceptional creativity. You will plan, organize, and execute innovative, thought-provoking research that empowers teams to develop world-class marketing and business strategy to generate brand awareness and maintain the company’s hyper growth trajectory.
Our ideal candidate has a mastery of a broad range of research and data-gathering methods, including expertise at conducting primary research, strong connections to world-class syndicated research vendors, and a thorough comprehension of how to analyze third-party data sources for actionable insights.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with the Executive, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term research needs.
- Work with the Business Analytics, Marketing Strategy, and Business Operations teams to extrapolate insights that teams can leverage to create “change the business” initiatives.
- Develop capabilities for delivering insights that drive effective GTM strategies for new verticals, practices, solutions, and specializations.
- Build a better understanding of Toptal’s key audiences and perceptions and awareness of the brand through focus groups, in-depth interviews, and other qualitative / quantitative research to drive powerful marketing and growth campaigns.
- Build a process that enables real-time monitoring of customer and market trends, leveraging sources such as search, social listening, news monitoring, customer intent data, jobs postings, and labor market data.
- Guide the prioritization of research needs as Toptal continues to scale.
- Oversee the interviewing and hiring of new team members as the team continues to grow.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the organization on research findings.
- Act as a high-level project manager to all of the initiatives that your team is responsible for, ensuring that all initiatives are on time and adequately resourced.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom, and other means.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the Marketing, Revenue, and Talent Operations functions and how they work effectively with other functions. You will also be expected to identify optimizations and opportunities that you see relating to further building the Market Insights team and its capabilities, organizational structure, and operational processes.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the key growth functions (e.g., Marketing, Revenue, Talent Operations) work together.
- Have charted a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high quality level for all initiatives generated by your team.
- Have garnered the trust of your peers and the individuals who you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have exemplified the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Have materially upleveled the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute.
- Have implemented several primary research studies that address priority needs and are a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Have chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Market Insights is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have significantly contributed to strengthening the Marketing briefs and business strategies through the delivery of insights that motivate and inspire exceptional creativity.
- Have demonstrated the successful implementation and execution of several new primary and secondary research approaches.
- Have garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the Market Insights team for the long-term.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Market Research & Analysis, or a STEM field is preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in market research, either in-house for brands, within agencies, and / or market research companies.
- At least 7 years in a Market Research leadership role.
- Experience running market research end-to-end, from understanding research objectives, selecting the appropriate methodology, managing research vendors, and sharing insights with stakeholders and the Executive team.
- Demonstrated ability to work beyond primary research to produce comprehensive perspectives on target audiences.
- You must have the ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final work product that your team creates.
- Experience leading and scaling cross functional, dynamic teams.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specializations within the Market Insights team, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze research reports.
- Demonstrated bias for action and ability to foster a results-focused culture in your team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.