Senior Director of Product Management
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal’s internal Product Management team builds and scales Toptal’s platform and products, working closely with our Operations and Engineering teams to support the organization’s hyper-growth. We embrace a data-focused approach to ensure each initiative on our product roadmap delivers a meaningful impact to our business and users. Our innovative technology platform enables us to deliver on-demand talent, without losing a human touch.
Are you a customer-centric Product Leader with a proven track record of taking ownership and delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment? We’re looking for a Senior Director of Product Management to join our rapidly growing internal Product team to lead and scale the side of our product and platform. Toptal is a two sided marketplace and having the right engine in place in order to acquire, screen and activate the world’s top talent as well as help these talents have a successful freelance career plays a cornerstone role in our success.
Our talent platform is a really unique software that offers advanced capabilities, we have a very ambitious vision and we will have to continue innovating to achieve it.
You’ll also join the Product Management leadership team as a key decision-maker in the creation and execution of the product strategy while reporting to the SVP of Product Management. You will work with the Engineering team and other Product Managers as well as business and operations stakeholders to support the organization’s hyper-growth. Over time, you will have the opportunity to help shape and grow not just the product, but also the team.
Here is a great insight into how we run Product at Toptal.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Drive the overall product strategy and roadmap for the Toptal talent platform and talent experience and contribute to the overall product strategy.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the rest of the organization on your product’s strategy and roadmap.
- Track progress, assess risks, coordinate delivery, and actively communicate contingency and mitigation plans for the team.
- Guide the prioritization of talent-related initiatives as the team scales.
- Lead and grow a team of amazing Product Managers, helping them do the best work of their careers.
- Help drive the Product Management practice and culture, both in how we work and the design of the organization.
- Work cross-functionally with other teams such as Executives, Operations, and Legal to make sure their objectives are met, opinions are considered, and plans communicated.
- Collect and analyze feedback from customers, stakeholders, and other teams to shape requirements, features, and end products.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal while independently starting to study and learn the Toptal talent product suite.
In the first month, expect to:
- Become acquainted with your product area, the product goals, and those you will partner with.
- Work cross-functionally and with Product Managers to refine your product’s strategy, organize and prioritize your high-level roadmap and backlog.
- Start collaborating closely with your Product teams.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Product Management function and all related external functions are working together.
- Take full ownership of the talent domain, its strategy, and roadmap.
- Garner the trust of your peers and the individuals that you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have built your team of world-class Product Managers.
- Exemplify the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Uplevel the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate and execute materially.
- Have chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that talent Product Management is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Ensure your Product teams have delivered great results in a timely and elegant fashion.
- Continue to bring best practices and learnings to the entire Product Management function.
- Work cross-functionally to predict future needs and plan resources well ahead of time.
- At least 15 years of proven software Product Management experience.
- At least 7 years of proven experience leading Product Management teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Business Administration.
- Proven ability to build, launch and scale software products.
- Ability to handle many concurrent projects and proactively reprioritize to meet business and product priorities without needing guidance.
- Toptal is in the hyper-growth/scale stage and you need to be comfortable with the level of ambiguity and workload that entails.
- Experience working with Engineering teams as a Product Manager and have demonstrable experience leading cross-functional teams to define, execute and iterate on large multi-team, multi-quarter projects.
- You are comfortable working with SQL or spreadsheets to analyze data as well as conducting research through various discussions with customers and teammates.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and can lead teams through difficult decisions.
- Be humble, willing to learn, and do whatever is needed to help us accomplish our goals.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality in your team.
- You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.