Senior Editor for Staffing.com
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a versatile Senior Editor for Staffing.com who is as adept at guiding a writer through a revision as they are line-editing a Staffing story. Reporting to the Editorial Strategy Lead, you will be working closely with Toptal’s global network of top experts, as well as in-house and freelance writers, to edit in-depth, thought-leading articles on the most important trends in finance, product/project management, and technology. Attention to detail, quality of editing, a collaborative spirit, and drive are key traits for this position. Subject matter expertise in finance, product/project management, and/or technology is highly desirable, but an insatiable curiosity, ability to quickly understand complex topics from one’s own research, and a commitment to accurate, clear, and high-caliber storytelling are essential.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Stay up-to-date on news important to an elite audience of staffing experts.
- Pitch story ideas to leads that will ensure that Toptal grows as a world-class publication for our key audiences.
- Evaluate story pitches from freelance writers and members of Toptal’s talent network.
- Write detailed assignment letters to writers.
- Provide constructive feedback to writers and edit multiple feature-length stories per week.
- Shepherd stories from idea to live article, including giving illustration direction to in-house designers.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal, our team, and what sets us apart.
- Onboard onto the Publications team by working closely with the suite of resources available.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of the team and key partners.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work with the Editorial Strategy Lead to understand what an A+ Toptal article looks like and establish processes for ensuring top quality articles.
- Partner with the team to analyze and understand the function’s key KPIs, along with how these are monitored and impacted.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have built pipelines of resources to stay on the cutting-edge of industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments, and providing intelligence to our team by reviewing relevant articles from competitors and media outlets in the space.
- Regularly produce high-quality content that distinguishes and differentiates Toptal from the competition and drives deep, meaningful engagement from our audiences.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Independently develop and launch comprehensive campaigns aimed at appealing to and engaging key audiences.
- Help demonstrate the expertise and knowledge of Toptal’s world-class talent network.
- Demonstrate the value of joining Toptal’s talent network to those with in-demand skills and expertise.
- At least 6 years of experience working as an editor, producing articles for an editorial publication.
- A strong portfolio of clips demonstrating expertise in editing and writing profiles, explainers, guides, and feature articles.
- A phenomenal eye for quality and an absolute unwillingness to compromise on your standards for an A+ article.
- An outstanding ability to explain complex concepts clearly.
- A passion for learning and an interest in immersing oneself in new and unfamiliar topics.
- The ability to work independently and develop ideas proactively.
- Openness to receiving direct feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.