Senior Front-end Engineer, Coresmiths team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Coresmiths team is responsible for large scale technical work that doesn’t fall into the domain of any other team. Our work is largely focused on reducing and removing technical debt, improving application performance and code maintainability making life easier for ourselves as well as all present and future Core Team Engineers working with our Platform and its various front-ends.
As a Front-End engineer your work will be primarily focused on maintaining and improving the functionality and user experience of our Staff Portal and existing Platform application.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Build cross-browser solutions optimized for a wide range of devices.
- Build innovative and heavy graphics interfaces that run well on desktop and mobile.
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- As a true teammate, you continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progres.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet mentors that will help you during your onboarding month.
- Start participating in company-wide training sessions.
- Set up your local environment and become familiar with our tech stack.
- Build your first pull request.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns and libraries we use and develop.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Contribute to our product development.
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
- Deliver value in a regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Be able to not only solve complex problems, but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them and decide on the best course of action.
- Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvements and suggest improvements in our technology stack.
- Help mentor engineers in their career progression.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Meet your team in person during an off-site if the pandemic/global scenario allows it.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a confirmed grasp of object-oriented programming, clean code, and best testing practices.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Previous experience working with multiple engineering teams.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Thrive on providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.