Senior Front-end Engineer, Matrix team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Front-end Engineer at the Matrix team, you will be working with some of the best Backend, Frontend, and Quality Assurance Engineers on our first-class talent matching process. You’ll get to work on our frontend portals that are used by both our direct customers and our internal staff related to talent recommendation and matching workflows that offer the best talent on the market to our clients. The Matrix team is a product development unit that makes heavy usage of A/B experiments to bring new and enhanced features to a high-impact domain.
You’ll be able to work in a modern front-end architecture (React, TypeScript, Webpack, Babel, Jest, RTL, GQL, Cypress to name a few) that is used by many other teams in Toptal, and also in building our UI components library, Picasso, that will have a great impact outside of the project boundaries.
On the product side, you will be supported by the creative visions and careful planning of a seasoned Product Manager and Product Designer, and on the technical side from an experienced and hands-on Engineering Manager. You’ll be involved in technical and architectural discussions alongside the team related to the team’s domain, which involves complex business logic on the Rails backend, a performant API interface in GraphQL, and the well polished Frontend layer in React.JS.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Build cross-browser solutions optimized for a wide range of devices.
- Build innovative and heavy graphics interfaces that run well on desktop and mobile.
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- As a true teammate, you continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
- Get familiar with our front-end architecture and all the tools that we use. Learn about the processes that we follow.
In the first month, expect to:
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
- Start working on regular team tasks related to the migration and become familiar with the business domain.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start contributing to the technical topics as well, understand the application, and general front-end architecture.
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest front-end technologies.
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Become a key part of the team, be responsible for certain areas, and help others inside and outside of the team.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside our team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience, being primarily focused on front-end development;
- Full autonomy in every aspect of daily work - be able to unblock yourself by finding the right people or help;
- Have a confirmed grasp of object-oriented programming, clean code, and best testing practices.
- Being a team player - avoiding solo performances, helping others.
- Caring for the quality - eager to review code, writing tests for your code.
- Caring for architecture - applying best practices, using software design patterns, bringing ideas for improvements.