Senior Front-end Engineer, Staff Portal Bravo Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
You will be joining one of the teams responsible for migrating Toptal’s core system from Rails + Backbone monolith to React + Rails GQL SOA. We are updating our core system UI which is used by our operational teams to match our talent network with clients. Our team consists of frontend developers and QA and we are supported by a dedicated backend team who is responsible for migrating GQL API.
As our long term goal is not only to migrate UI, but also to establish a solid application architecture for long term development. You will be contributing to it’s design and helping to make it even better.
We are working with an established modern (React, TypeScript, Webpack, Babel, Jest, RTL, GQL to name a few) frontend architecture that is used by multiple teams in Toptal. We are also building our UI using our in-house built components library, Picasso. You will have an opportunity to contribute to this library, which will impact multiple teams outside of project boundaries.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work on daily tasks by writing frontend code.
- Participate in daily team meetings.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- Help the team to improve by providing feedback about processes and other things.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
- Help PM to reverse engineer unknown functionality.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
- Get familiar with our frontend architecture and all the tools that we use. Learn about processes that we follow.
In the first month, expect to:
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
- Start working on regular team tasks related to the migration and become familiar with the business domain.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start contributing to the technical topics as well, understand application and general front-end architecture.
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest front-end technologies.
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Become a key part of the team, be responsible for certain areas, and help others inside and outside of the team.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside our team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Full autonomy in every aspect of daily work - be able to unblock yourself by finding the right people or help.
- 3+ years as a Front-end developer and 7+ years of experience in programming.
- Have a solid front-end experience, being primarily focused on front-end development.
- Experience working with design systems and component libraries. You can check out our’s at https://picasso.toptal.net.
- Being a team player - avoiding solo performances, helping others.
- Caring for the quality - eager to review code, writing tests for your code.
- Caring for architecture - applying best practices, using software design patterns, bringing ideas for improvements.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.