Senior Learning Designer
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a hypergrowth organization, which means that we are constantly onboarding new team members and working with our existing team members to build new skills. As a Senior Learning Experience Designer at Toptal, you will build a world-class Learning and Development function as part of the People team, working with leaders and individual contributors across the company to identify areas for improvement and build the learning plans and materials necessary to realize those improvements. You will create a strategy for new, high-quality training materials, build knowledge validation exercises, design engaging learning paths, and more. You will build deep institutional knowledge of the core skills needed for key positions across Toptal, thinking critically about innovative ways to elevate the abilities of team members across the organization.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will work with subject matter experts across the organization to design, develop, and deliver a variety of high-quality learning solutions (e-learning, online webinars, video, and live sessions) to improve operational efficiency, drive performance, and promote leadership excellence. You will be responsible for creating effective and engaging learning interventions that impact performance, using video, voiceovers, animation, and a variety of other avenues. You will work as a part of the People team to evaluate the efficacy of our learning initiatives, build new strategies based on feedback and analysis, and evolve.
A few examples of skills for which you will be designing courses:
- Developing learning paths for career development and growth.
- Advanced technical role-specific and functional training for teams including Engineering, Product, etc.
- Complex leadership and manager training for all levels of leadership.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn about Toptal services, and learn about Toptal’s organizational structure, including each team’s focus and how they interact.
- Begin meeting with leaders across the company.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work within your team to understand priorities, history, and how we work.
- Work with the People team and relevant team leads to understand which areas of the organization most need instructional design support.
- Prioritize by impact and begin working with domain experts to design learning plans and create real training materials that will be used by newcomers and existing team members.
- Build launch plans for your first learning modules, including effective feedback and incentive systems, and execute the launches.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Adapt modules based on learner feedback to ensure they are maximally effective.
- Work with domain experts to build the next wave of learning modules, prioritizing by impact and focusing both on onboarding modules and skill development modules for existing team members.
- Build review systems to ensure that all learning and development material you create stays up-to-date over time.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Create a strong base of L&D courses targeted both to onboarding newcomers and to developing the skills of existing team members, covering the major technical, cultural, soft, and procedural skills needed to be successful at Toptal.
- Begin to build deep relationships with domain experts across the company.
In the first year, expect to:
- Assist in creating an L&D framework for learning, evaluation, incentivization, retention, and adoption at Toptal that is backed by academic research and internal data, is scalable, and delivers unparalleled results.
- Support in scaling Learning & Development at Toptal as the organization continues to grow, ensuring our ability to develop top performers which will become a critical organizational competitive advantage.
- 7+ years of experience designing and developing learning programs in a fast-paced environment experiencing exponential growth. A plus if you’ve worked in a fast-paced tech start-up environment.
- Experience working cross-functionally with Subject Matter Experts; partnering across an international organization (Sales, Engineering, etc.) to support training needs.
- Advanced experience developing blended learning programs, self-directed, instructor-led training (ILT), computer based training (CBT), and webinar training.
- Experience with authoring tools and Learning Management Systems used to create high-quality learning materials (Lessonly, Articulate, Storyline, etc).
- Consult internal stakeholders on root-causes of defined performance gaps including when, where, and why training might mitigate or close the gap as well as when it will not.
- Work backwards from business goals and metrics as well as identified performance gaps to pinpoint root-causes of gaps and opportunities for improvement.
- Proven experience in creating learning metrics that are independent, holistic, accurate, encourage the right behaviors, and are aligned with company objectives.
- Attention to detail. Quality matters at Toptal and this must come across in all training material. Courses must be intuitive, error-free, and extremely high-quality.
- Creativity. You will need to use non-incremental, out-of-the-box thinking to create learning plans that are effective and scalable, while not requiring unsustainable amounts of time from learners or stakeholders.
- Resourcefulness. You must refuse to be impeded by anything standing in your way. You must push to get access to any resources you need, contribute unsustainable effort when the situation calls for it, and be creative in finding ways to remove blockers and deliver value.
- Proactive. You must be passionate about the prospect of creating a world-class learning & development discipline at Toptal and proactive in reaching out to stakeholders to define priorities and deliver on needs.
- You must be comfortable with ambiguity and shifting priorities, and capable of delivering value with minimal supervision.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.