Senior Learning Experience Designer
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal has been growing at a hypergrowth pace for three consecutive years. As a result, we have an influx of new team members in need of world-class onboarding experiences, and a growing emphasis on up-leveling the skills of our existing team members. Joining our expanding Learning and Development team as a Senior Learning Experience Designer means building exceptional learning experiences to sustain our culture of learning and engagement.
In this role, you will not simply take orders and create learning content. Instead, you will become a trusted business partner your stakeholders rely upon to positively impact business objectives. You will do this by leveraging your strong business acumen to discover worthwhile opportunities to design effective learning solutions, develop engaging learning experiences in an iterative, collaborative way, and deploy those solutions across the business.
You will partner with leaders and individual contributors across the company to identify where learning experiences can impact business results and team engagement, and build the learning plans and materials necessary to realize that impact. You will create a strategy for new, high-quality training materials, build knowledge validation exercises, design engaging learning paths, and more. Along the way, you will build deep institutional knowledge of the core skills needed for key positions across Toptal, thinking critically and innovating on how to elevate the abilities of team members across the organization.
For the right experienced Designer, with a demonstrated track record of leadership and business impact, there is the opportunity to manage a team of Instructional Designers as the Learning and Development subfunction grows.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will work with subject matter experts across the organization to discover, design, develop, and deploy a variety of high-quality learning solutions (e-learning, online webinars, video, and live sessions) to improve operational efficiency, drive performance, and promote leadership excellence. You will be responsible for creating effective and engaging learning interventions that impact performance, using video, voiceovers, animation, and a variety of other avenues. You will work as a part of the People team to evaluate the efficacy of our learning initiatives, build new strategies based on feedback and analysis, and evolve deliverables as needed.
We are seeking someone with instructional design breadth, as well as subject matter expertise in designing courses for Revenue (Sales) and Marketing Functions in a hypergrowth company.
A few examples of content design include:
- Developing learning paths for career development and growth.
- Advanced technical role-specific and functional training for teams including Marketing, Revenue, etc.
- Integrated leadership and manager training for all levels of leadership.
- Developing content for Revenue teams around selling, coaching, and pitching clients.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn about Toptal services, and learn about Toptal’s organizational structure, including each team’s focus and how they interact.
- Begin meeting with leaders across the company.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work within your team to understand priorities, history, and how we work.
- Work with the People team and relevant team leads to understand which areas of the organization most need instructional design support.
- Prioritize, by impact, and begin working with domain experts to design learning plans and create training materials that will be used by newcomers and existing team members.
- Build launch plans for your first learning modules, including effective feedback and incentive systems, and execute the launches.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Adapt modules based on learner feedback to ensure they are maximally effective.
- Work with domain experts to build the next wave of learning modules, prioritizing by impact and focusing both on onboarding modules and skill development modules for existing team members.
- Build review systems to ensure that all learning and development material you create stays up-to-date over time.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Create a strong base of L&D courses targeted both to onboarding newcomers and developing the skills of existing team members, covering the major technical, cultural, soft, and procedural skills needed to be successful at Toptal.
- Begin to build deep relationships with domain experts across the company.
In the first year, expect to:
- Support in Learning and Development’s ability to develop and deploy cutting-edge, best-in-class learning experiences by owning a discipline, program, or other large-scale initiatives.
- Support in scaling Learning & Development at Toptal as the organization continues to grow, ensuring our ability to develop top performers which will become a critical organizational competitive advantage.
- 7+ years of experience designing and developing learning programs in a high-growth environment. Experience working in a fast-paced tech start-up is a plus.
- Project management experience in a global organization, having partnered across multiple business units (Sales, Engineering, etc.) to support a variety of training needs at once.
- Advanced experience developing blended learning programs including components of self-directed, instructor-led training (ILT), computer-based training (CBT), and webinar training.
- Experience with authoring tools and Learning Management Systems used to create high-quality learning materials (Lessonly, Articulate, Storyline, etc.).
- A work portfolio demonstrating the ability to write clear, compelling, and concise training content.
- Experience writing content focused on sales, marketing, and leadership development programs is a plus.
- A track record of creating learning metrics that are independent, holistic, accurate, and encourage the right behaviors, while staying aligned with company objectives.
- Experience working cross-functionally with Subject Matter Experts.
- Skilled at working backward from business goals and metrics, as well as identifying performance gaps, to pinpoint root causes of gaps and opportunities for improvement.
- Creative problem-solving skills with proven results that have positively impacted both the business and individual learners.
- Passion to create a world-class learning & development discipline at Toptal.
- An ability to thrive in rapidly changing environments, with a strong willingness and ability to eliminate ambiguity and execute. Certification in Change management is a plus.
- An ability to give, and receive, feedback and constructive criticism.
- A hyper-focus on quality and detail; quality matters at Toptal and this must come across in all training material with courses that are intuitive, error-free, and extremely high-quality.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.