Senior Market Research Manager
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a Senior Market Research Manager to join our Market Insights team. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of proposing and running market research projects, influencing decision-making, and identifying opportunities that support business objectives and strategies. We are looking for someone with a strong foundation in quantitative and qualitative market research. They should be comfortable running research projects focusing on both businesses and individual professionals. This person must have the curiosity, work ethic, and experience that allows them to take business questions from stakeholders and translate them into research briefs, select the right research strategies, and provide insights that drive decisions.
You must possess excellent analytical abilities in addition to outstanding business acumen. This role requires a self-starter attitude, being comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, with strong attention to detail. You’ll also be extremely people-focused, an excellent communicator, and someone who takes pride in delivering results with their team.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Be responsible for the inception, planning, and execution of research projects. This includes coordinating project plans and tasks across external vendors, Market Insights team members, and internal stakeholders.
- Be excited about the prospect of building a team to meet the growing demand for the brand and communications insights in the business.
- Partner with the marketing leadership team to understand business questions that can be answered through market research.
- Propose appropriate market research methodologies that provide effective insights that drive marketing strategy.
- Own end-to-end execution of in-depth analysis for ad-hoc requests and projects, such as talent and client brand trackers, concept and ad testing, and pre- and post-campaign analysis.
- Communicate research findings to the marketing team, applicable business functions, and the executive team.
- Partner with Marketing Strategy, Business Analytics, Communications, and Creative & Content teams regarding ongoing brand studies using various research methodologies and platforms.
- Leverage other data sources to augment findings from market research such as social listening, news, and industry trends, and external reports to provide comprehensive insights.
- Desire to own and lead the brand/communications research element within the Market Insights team.
- Produce multi-faceted, comprehensive perspectives on Toptal’s client and talent personas and competitors.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become acquainted with the teams, product, and business operations.
- Familiarize yourself with market research already conducted.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work closely with various stakeholders within marketing on identifying open questions that can be answered with market research.
- Prioritize and propose studies that will drive impactful marketing decisions.
- Get familiar with Toptal’s Talent and Client Marketing Strategies, Integrated Marketing, and Content projects and processes.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start establishing yourself as the go-to resource for all questions related to understanding Toptal’s brand and communications positioning.
- Have a well-defined roadmap of periodic and ad-hoc studies that help drive brand marketing strategy.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Establish a steady cadence of impactful market research insights that are shared across the marketing team and Toptal leadership.
- Develop a strong understanding of Toptal’s client, talent personas, customer journeys, and brand strategy that enables you to provide powerful, actionable recommendations that drive marketing strategy including messaging and targeting.
- 8+ years of experience in market research (both qualitative and quantitative) at a research agency or client-side.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Analytics, Business or related field.
- Experience running primary research end-to-end. This includes understanding research objectives, selecting the appropriate methodology, designing research questionnaires and moderator guides, managing research vendors, and sharing insights with executive stakeholders.
- Experience in brand and communications research, brand trackers, concept testing, focus groups, in-depth interviews, and online surveys.
- Ability to understand business objectives and identify opportunities to apply market research methodologies to drive decisions to achieve them.
- Ability to work with senior leaders and stakeholders with a broad range of business objectives and questions, and translate them into actionable market research proposals.
- Desire and ability to work beyond traditional market research, including social listening, news monitoring, and competitive analysis.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Please Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.