Senior Product Manager (New Product)
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal’s internal Product Team builds and scales Toptal’s platform and products, working closely with our Operations and Engineering teams to support the organization’s hyper-growth. We embrace a data-focused approach to ensure each initiative on our product roadmap delivers a meaningful impact to our business and users.
Are you a customer-centric Product Manager with a proven track record of taking ownership and delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment? We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our rapidly growing internal Product team to make an immediate impact by building, launching, and scaling one of our newest product offerings. In this role, you will lead a team of engineers and designers in driving the execution of the initial product release and building the strategy and roadmap for the product’s future. We need someone to guide the team as they develop highly sophisticated features, collaborate to make challenging decisions, prioritize the right things, creatively solve problems, and ensure we are shipping an exceptionally high-quality product.
If you have a knack for building high-quality, extremely impactful products, we want you on our team! Here is a great insight into how we run product at Toptal. This role is perfect for an experienced Product Manager with an entrepreneurial mindset and strong business acumen that has a knack for building new high-quality and extremely impactful products.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Own and lead all aspects of an established agile team, including backlog grooming, triage and prioritization, and cross-functional coordination.
- Responsible for defining the scope of development for new product features, ongoing feature improvements including management of all backlog and project management activities.
- Research, write and prioritize user stories and define acceptance criteria. You should be comfortable communicating the big picture as well as describing detailed specifications.
- Influence and motivate cross-functional teams of engineers and designers to build the best products in the market. Ensure healthy and collaborative relationships between all team members to foster our fast-paced and innovative culture.
- Work cross-functionally with Sales, Marketing, Operations, Legal, and customers to define, build, and launch our new product.
- Ability to establish and maintain a high level of credibility with internal and external partners.
- Analytical ability to break down complex problems and effectively use data and analytics layered against high-quality user research to inform the direction of the product.
- Track progress, assess risks, coordinate delivery, and actively communicate contingency and mitigation plans for the team.
- Run various ad-hoc research and business analyses to assess opportunities and risks.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal while independently starting to study and learn our product suite.
- Become acquainted with your product area, the product goals, and those you will partner with.
In the first month you will:
- Work cross-functionally to craft and prioritize your high-level roadmap and backlog.
- Start collaborating closely with the new business incubation and development teams.
- Decide what you’ll be shipping first based on business impact.
- Take over all in-flight and planned initiatives.
In the first three months you will:
- Fully own your roadmap and product development team, working collaboratively to complete planning and set OKRs.
- Be fully integrated into your development and design team as a leader and partner.
- Prioritize features that deliver high business impact.
- Monitor and measure the success of your initiatives against company goals.
- Continuously improve your team’s processes through meaningful contributions.
- Make significant progress toward a Minimum Viable Product.
In the first six months you will:
- Deliver the new business Minimum Viable Product for pilot testing.
- Work across the Product team to measure and refine your roadmap, backlog, and processes to make improvements over time. Discover new opportunities for your backlog.
- Constantly re-evaluate your roadmap’s alignment with the strategic goals of the business, adjusting where necessary.
- Refine the future strategy and roadmap.
In the first year you will:
- Deliver on your roadmap priorities and promises.
- Ensure your team has an incredible record of building impactful products in a timely and elegant fashion.
- Formulate a plan to scale the product and your team to meet the growing needs of our business and our users.
- Refine the future strategy and roadmap.
- At least 5 years of proven software product management experience.
- Experience building or significantly improving a sophisticated platform with strong operational capabilities for its users.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset, be able to deal with ambiguity, and be willing to wear multiple different hats in order to get your job done.
- Comfortable creating wireframes and mockups, with a knack for keeping things simple.
- Detail oriented with a high bar for quality when writing user stories, reviewing designs, brainstorming technical approach, and testing a feature before it is released.
- Experience using agile development methodologies with globally-distributed teams and the ability to keep up with a fast-paced and global company.
- Comfortable working with SQL or spreadsheets to analyze data as well as conducting research through various discussions with customers and teammates. Able to balance quantitative and qualitative analysis - comfortable building your own queries to analyze data.
- Strong expertise using data to synthesize information and make decisions.
- Continuously looking to maximize impact. As part of your application, and to show you read this far, please describe an accomplishment of yours that you believe had a big impact.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- Be humble, willing to learn, and do whatever is needed to help us accomplish our goals.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Business Administration.