Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for talented Ruby developers to help us reach the next level.
By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to work on many of our various Ruby projects with a team of highly skilled Ruby experts from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible with Ruby every single day, and we’d love for you to help us get even further.
The bulk of the work we do on a daily basis is pure back-end development, but occasionally some new UI has to be wired up, so some front-end skills on your part certainly won’t hurt.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we create beautifully designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
We are remote-only, have no office, and fully embrace a flexible work-life balance.All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- You write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby code which is easy to maintain and debug.
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- As a true team player, you continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
We are expecting from you to:
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing methodologies.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Solve complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Thrive on providing and receiving honest but always constructive feedback.
For Toptal Use Only: #individualcontributor
GMT-3 to GMT+3
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.