Senior Software Engineer in Test, Mobile Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a quality-first company. While quality is the responsibility of the whole team, our Software Engineers in Test lead this effort.
We believe that top quality can only be achieved by excelling in the following three domains:
- Product knowledge - completely understanding the product and its functionalities.
- Engineering domain - increasing the test coverage and test robustness as well as understanding application architecture and design in order to find opportunities for improvements or possible issues.
- Process audit - identifying quality issues that can be addressed with simple changes in our software development process.
As a Senior QA Automation Engineer, your work will be focused on both maintaining and improving the high-level test coverage of our tools as well as assisting the team in analyzing the complex technical initiatives by finding corner cases that should be handled correctly and ensuring all of them meet the high-quality standards of Toptal.
By joining the Mobile team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of meaningful initiatives and projects with a team of highly skilled members from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible every single day, and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
We are a product team delivering value to the end-users working closely with the business. You will be working directly on the Android and iOS Talent apps used by thousands of Toptal freelancers. You will have the opportunity to improve the quality of the existing codebase as well as our extensive automated UI test suites for both Android and iOS.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we build expertly designed native mobile apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with Android and iOS engineers to maintain and improve our automated test suites in EarlGrey 2.0 on iOS and Espresso on Android.
- Create detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases.
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate testing activities.
- Identify, record, thoroughly document and track bugs.
- Review the work of your colleagues from the white box (PR reviews) and black box (manual and exploratory) testing perspectives.
- Continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress.
- Improve and maintain various automation scripts related to automated testing and app distribution.
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide meaningful feedback, as well as to identify corner cases that should be addressed properly.
- Track quality assurance metrics, like defect densities and open defect counts.
- Stay up-to-date with new testing tools and test strategies.
- Actively participate in meetings including Scrum meetings, squad meetings, pair programming sessions, etc.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Learn our processes.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
In the first month, expect to:
- Contribute to the existing automated tests codebase.
- Start working on regular team tasks and become familiar with the business domain.
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Develop automated tests to ensure that our products flawlessly support our business and behave at sky-high quality standards.
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on.
- Start contributing to the technical topics as well, understand the application, and the general testing system.
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Become a key part of the team, be responsible for the QA and overall testing activities, and help others inside and outside of the team.
- Develop your team’s trust to make strategic decisions in regard to tools or methods involved in the QA process.
- Significantly increase the automated test coverage of our team’s products including some end-to-end tests, when necessary, help out the team with manual and exploratory testing.
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Have 5+ years of Quality Assurance and test automation.
- Familiarity or willingness to learn Espresso for Android and EarlGrey for iOS.
- Being a team player - avoiding solo performances, helping others.
- Great spoken and written communication skills.
- Familiarity or willingness to learn Swift, Kotlin and GraphQL.
- Full autonomy in every aspect of daily work - be able to unblock yourself by finding the right people or help.
- Hands-on experience with both white box and black box testing.
- Have a solid hands-on experience with automated testing tools
- Hands-on experience with different tools - Testing tools, Version Control systems (Git), Test Management Software, Bug Tracking software (Jira), CI tools (Jenkins, Github Actions, etc.), Docker and Kubernetes (a plus).
- Critical thinking and enthusiastic skepticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.