Senior UX Writer
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for an experienced Senior UX Writer to give our product a human touch, develop meaningful content that improves the usability of our platform and increase conversions. You will help set the vision for content and drive cohesive product narratives across multiple platforms and touch points.
You’ll incorporate qualitative and quantitative data into your decision-making in order to craft strategic initiatives that have a measurable impact on the user experience of our products. You will use empathy, logic and data to inform content choices and recommendations that include the right words and complementary data and images as required. While experience with optimization and experimentation is critical, you must also be able to influence stakeholders with the quality of your work.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. In this role, you will work cross-functionally with Product Managers, UX Researchers, Product Designers, Engineers and Operations folks.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write clear, consistent, concise user-interface content, emails, notifications, and product tours.
- Create copy-driven experiments to support product goals and your copy strategy.
- Focus on enhancing the user experience through the power of words.
- Use qualitative data, quantitative data and key metrics to measure the impact of your copy.
- Create simple, elegant solutions to complex content and information architecture problems.
- Iterate based on research findings and feedback from your team.
- Work with UX designers, researchers, product managers and many others to develop and execute business strategy through copy.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship to other UX writers. Educate cross-functional partners on the role of UX writing and content strategy throughout the product development process.
We’re looking for a candidate who is:
- Versatile: You’re comfortable handling a wide variety of topics and how they relate to Product (SEO, SEM, Engineering, Technology, etc.).
- Organized: You’re a capable multitasker, able to manage workflows, good at sticking to timelines, and willing to set expectations around deliverables.
- Proactive: You’re motivated, willing to chase down the information you need when you need it and are not easily dissuaded when obstacles get in your way.
- Detail-oriented: You sweat the details, are comfortable working with a style guide, and take great pains to ensure your copy is clean before you hand it off.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Meet the other members of your team and integrate yourself into the brand marketing function.
- Immerse yourself in your first content projects.
In the first month, expect to:
- Meet other teams across Toptal that you’ll work with.
- Complete several product content projects and get a better feel for the type of work you’ll be doing.
- Clarify and pressure-test different processes and workflows you’ll use when collaborating with other functions.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully integrated into Toptal.
- Have finished several initiatives that you’ll be proud of.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Strategize how to scale the work you do as Toptal grows.
- Have helped launch a new app and other exciting product features and enhancements.
In the first year, expect to:
- Be seen as an integral member of the Product UX Team at the company and start pushing the limits of what people believe is possible in regards to quality, and consistently upleveling them.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Human Computer Interaction or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of experience writing or editing content for web and mobile experiences.
- You have a native level fluency in English.
- Experience of establishing frameworks, content patterns, and voice and tone guidelines; experience with information architecture and content hierarchy.
- You have a ‘can-do’ attitude and work well independently and in a team.
- You are self-driven and take full ownership of your ideas to solve challenging problems in a rapidly changing environment.
- Outstanding clarity of thought in communication and analysis, and the ability to explain complex user experiences in simple terms.
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders and to work well both independently and within a team.
- Experience working with an in-house product team, including working with UX/UI designers, information architecture, and responsive design teams.
- You are comfortable with each part of the writing process – from brainstorming and researching to shipping products and iterating.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.