SMB Account Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and team members based around the globe, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote workforce.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an SMB Account Specialist, you will work as part of our SMB Client Services (CS) team to ensure Toptal’s SMB customers have a world class customer experience. This role is perfect for someone who is passionate about sales and customer service and looking to use this opportunity as a launchpad for their sales career at Toptal. Learn firsthand how your efforts lead to opportunities for the company and become skilled in researching customers, creative outreach, retaining current customer business, and helping to resolve client issues.
This is a remote position. We do not offer visa sponsorship or assistance. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The following information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or required skills.
- Customer Service: Communicate effectively with your portfolio of customers to ensure an excellent experience by creatively solving problems as needed while acting as an effective liaison between other partner teams.
- Client Retention: Analyze the behavior of your assigned portfolio of customers to execute strategies designed to retain their business through negotiation, conflict resolution, and the identification of cross-selling opportunities.
- Client and Industry Knowledge: Clients are at the heart of everything we do, build rapport through strategic outreach and your well-rounded client and industry knowledge.
- Growth and Development: Our team has an aversion to complacency. We are always looking to improve both individually and as a team. Being open to and implementing feedback are critical keys to success in this role and at Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Grasp the importance of the SMB sales function to the success of Toptal.
- Understand our sales method and our selling process to set you up for success.
- Become familiar with the various platforms and systems Toptal utilizes to offer timely and exceptional client support.
- Complete customized onboarding to successfully navigate through the organization and understand the moving parts that make up the Toptal business model.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete our personalized sales training program, complete with mock calls and role-play scenarios.
- Learn the process for outreach, including calling, emailing, and LinkedIn messaging. Exercising discretion and independent judgment, implement an outreach process and hit 1-month objectives.
- Learn the key internal and external stakeholders and how clients can best be served by the different Toptal teams during their lifecycle.
- Have a solid understanding of the Toptal platform as it relates to clients and the most frequent request processes.
- Gain a comprehensive working knowledge of the client experience from start to finish.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully ramped and integrated into the CS Sales team.
- Uncover new opportunities with existing accounts and target accounts that result in revenue-generating engagements for Toptal.
- Hit call/email quotas and fully ramped objectives.
- Become proficient in using the Toptal Customer Portal.
- Learn how to maintain excellent data integrity using our CRM.
- Actively engage with internal teams at Toptal and work collaboratively to review and resolve assigned tasks.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Continuously hit fully ramped quotas and objectives.
- Build new and existing client relationships, expand Toptal’s partnership with new and existing accounts, and continue to execute account plans.
- Suggest, implement, and experiment with new lead and demand generation activities for new and existing leads.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have built a portfolio of accounts and active clients.
- Become a mentor to new members of the team, helping them learn about Toptal, our model, and how proper sales development practices can improve relationships and increase revenue.
- Continue to expand your portfolio of new accounts, accelerate growth in existing accounts, and use the full suite of capabilities Toptal has to offer.
- Set KPIs with your manager for success.
- Continue to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- 1+ year(s) of experience working in customer service and/or sales over a variety of communication channels (email, Slack, and chat).
- Knowledge of the software development field is a significant plus.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Communication is the lifeblood of relationships both internal and external to Toptal. Reflect excellent communication in all forms, across a wide variety of personality types, roles, and geographies.
- Collaboration. Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong, customer-centric relationships, both internally and externally.
- Curiosity. A desire to understand people, their problems, their companies, and their industries.
- Team-oriented. Cooperative and promotes an environment of continuous improvement.
- Motivated. Be highly motivated and continuously strive for personal and professional improvement.
- Problem solver. Must be capable of uncovering issues and resolving them quickly and effectively.
- Time management. Must be able to work independently and manage time and resources efficiently; can successfully manage competing priorities.
- You don’t take yourself too seriously; you have a sense of humor and are comfortable with sarcasm. This position does sit on our Sales teams, after all.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and handle a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a diverse array of contacts.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.