SMB Business Development Executive - Pacific
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Want to make an impact by innovating how top global companies build teams and adapt to the Future of Work? As a Business Development Executive, you’ll have the opportunity to target and close net new accounts, as well as re-engage dormant accounts. Being skilled in researching potential customers, strategically engaging them, aligning the value of Toptal, and consistently closing new business will set you up for success in this role. We’ve been in a massive hyper growth mode for three consecutive years and you will be a pivotal part in continuing our growth!
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants to reside in-market. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Prospect, educate, qualify, and close leads and opportunities by engaging dormant accounts and performing lead-generation activities into new targeted accounts.
- Engage prospects via phone and email to explain Toptal’s vision, pinpoint opportunities, pitch Toptal’s value proposition and close new business.
- Educate customers on the future of work and enthusiastically represent Toptal’s solutions to prospects.
- As you become more comfortable in the role, you’ll help evolve our demand generation strategy and tactics.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our value proposition, and our story.
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand how you can utilize our incredible global team to build client relationships and drive success.
- Learn the breadth of Toptal’s impact on the world’s largest companies.
- Grasp the importance of the outbound function to the success of growing Toptal.
- Understand our sales method and our selling process to set you up for success.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete our personalized sales training program, complete with mock calls, cold calls, and role-play scenarios.
- Learn how to use outreach tools (SalesLoft, DiscoverOrg, SalesNavigator).
- Learn the process for outreach, including calling, emailing, and LinkedIn messaging. Implement an outreach process and hit 1-month objectives.
- Learn how to analyze industry drivers, business problems, and target buyers.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Uncover new opportunities with existing accounts and target accounts that result in revenue-generating engagements for Toptal.
- Hit call/email quotas and fully ramped objectives.
- Become proficient in using our SaaS tools.
- Learn how to maintain excellent data integrity in Salesforce.com.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Continuously hit fully ramped quotas and objectives.
- Assist with training and onboarding new BDR’s.
- Build new and existing client relationships, expand Toptal’s partnership with new and existing clients.
- Suggest, implement and experiment with new lead and demand generation activities.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have closed multiple net new accounts from the strategic account list.
- Become a mentor to new members of the team, helping them learn about Toptal, our model, and how proper business development practices can improve relationships and increase revenue.
- Hit 100% of personal target monthly critical metrics and be promoted to a more senior role.
- Set MBOs with the manager for promotion to a more senior role.
- The ideal candidate will bring some sales experience, ideally closing new business and prospecting to new/ dormant accounts.
- You are persistent. Being rejected by prospective clients can be a common occurrence in this role. You must have the ability to take those in stride and persist despite setbacks. Being enthusiastic, ambitious, and having a positive mindset will play a key role in your success.
- You are naturally curious. You have a strong desire to understand people, their problems, companies, and industries. If/ when you come across a complex issue, you can understand and explain them to clients.
- You thrive with autonomy and ownership. We’re looking for someone who can be held accountable for leading their portion of the business. To succeed at Toptal, you need to be a world-class individual contributor. Part of this includes being able to take ownership of your accounts, successes, and failures.
- You are a go-getter. We are looking for self-starters who are passionate about hunting for new accounts and think about target accounts as their own business. You aren’t afraid to do the work required to reach your goals by following a process and being creative.
- You don’t take yourself too seriously; you have a sense of humor and are comfortable with sarcasm. This position does sit on our Sales teams, after all.