SMB Sales Development Representative - North America
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Be a pivotal part of Toptal’s incredible growth and help the world’s top companies change the way they build teams and adapt to the Future of Work! As a Sales Development Representative, you will be working with SMB Account Managers (AM’s) and SMB Relationship Managers (RM’s) to seek new target accounts, re-engage dormant accounts, and expand existing accounts in order to uncover new opportunities. Toptal is in hyper-growth mode, and this role is instrumental in supporting our SMB Sales team’s efforts to bring on new clients while learning the fundamental skills vital to becoming a successful sales executive in the future. Become skilled in researching potential customers, contacting them, deliver compelling reasons to meet with our Sales team, and learn firsthand how your efforts lead to opportunities for the company.
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants to reside in-market. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Prospect, educate, qualify, and develop sales-ready leads and opportunities by engaging dormant accounts and perform lead-generation activities into targeted accounts. 85% of this role will involve contacting potential buyers within previously revenue-generating accounts and the remainder of the focus will be on contacting cold accounts to book meetings for AMs and RMs.
- Engage prospects via phone and email to explain Toptal’s vision, pinpoint opportunities, and generate interest.
- Disseminate opportunities to appropriate sales executives, educating representatives as necessary about the opportunity, and recommending appropriate follow-up action items.
- Educate customers on the future of work and enthusiastically represent Toptal’s solutions to prospects.
- As you become more comfortable in the role, you’ll help evolve our demand generation strategy and tactics.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our value proposition, and our story.
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand how you can utilize our incredible global team to build client relationships and drive success.
- Learn the breadth of Toptal’s impact on the world’s largest companies.
- Grasp the importance of the outbound function to the success of Toptal.
- Understand our sales method and our selling process to set you up for success.
In the first month, expect to:
- Set MBOs with your manager & determine your ideal career path at Toptal (whether sales executive, account management, or other).
- Complete our personalized sales training program, complete with mock calls, cold calls, and role-play scenarios.
- Learn how to use Saleforce.com CRM, as well as other SaaS outreach tools (SalesLoft, DiscoverOrg, SalesNavigator).
- Be partnered with Account Managers and Relationship Managers per management’s directive and be ready to start targeting strategic accounts.
- Learn the process for outreach, including calling, emailing, and LinkedIn messaging. Implement an outreach process and hit 1-month objectives.
- Learn how to analyze industry drivers, business problems, and target buyers.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully ramped into the team.
- Uncover new opportunities with existing accounts and target accounts that result in revenue-generating engagements for Toptal.
- Hit call/email quotas and fully ramped objectives.
- Become proficient in using our SaaS tools.
- Learn how to maintain excellent data integrity in Salesforce.com.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Continuously hit fully ramped quotas and objectives.
- Assist with training and onboarding new SDRs.
- Build new and existing client relationships, expand Toptal’s partnership with new and existing. accounts, and continue to execute account plans.
- Suggest, implement and experiment with new lead and demand generation activities.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have built a portfolio of net new accounts from the strategic account list.
- Become a mentor to new members of the team, helping them learn about Toptal, our model, and how proper sales development practices can improve relationships and increase revenue.
- Continue to expand your portfolio of accounts, accelerate growth in existing accounts, and use the full suite of capabilities Toptal has to offer.
- Hit 100% of personal target monthly critical metrics and be promoted to a more senior role.
- Set MBOs with the manager for promotion to a more senior role.
- Knowledgeable. Broad understanding of business challenges encountered by enterprise clients.
- Critical thinking. Critically think through the challenges clients face to create new opportunities.
- Perseverance. Be relentless and push towards your goal.
- Passion. A sense of enthusiasm and ambition to succeed in this role, as it can be difficult if you hate rejection.
- Curiosity. A desire to understand people, their problems, their companies, and industries.
- Conscientiousness. What we’re doing is not a simple SaaS sale, but discussions may get technical. Understanding sophisticated issues and explaining them to clients is important.
- Motivated. Be highly motivated and continuously strive for personal and professional improvement.
- Resourceful. Think about target accounts as your own business - we want self-starters who are passionate about hunting for new accounts, and who thrive with the freedom and accountability of leading their portion of the business.
- Proactive. Understand our mission and do the work required to drive us to that goal, through following a process and also being creative.
- Communication. Communication is the lifeblood of relationships both internal and external to Toptal. Reflect excellent communication in all forms, across a wide variety of personality types, roles, and geographies.
- Team. Nothing we do is done in isolation. Success depends on your ability to work as a team both within Toptal and within your client accounts.
- Ownership. Exhibit ownership of accounts, successes, and failures.
- Problem Solver. We are a distributed company so life throws in minor challenges beyond the primary problems this role is meant to solve. Must have the ability to take those in stride and persist despite setbacks.
- Priorities. The nature of this role requires that you understand the priorities and timelines associated with each of your accounts and to execute appropriately with those in mind.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
[Please Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.]