Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Social Media Community Manager at Toptal, you will be the brand voice on social and play a pivotal role, acting as the social media gatekeeper for Toptal’s brand channels. Integrated within the Brand Marketing team, you will be in charge of the day-to-day social media activities of the brand and act as the authoritative social expert on all things Toptal. You have a keen eye for detail and a passion for crafting compelling and unique content customized for each social platform. You will ensure the quality, tone, messaging, and copy are consistently represented as an elite, authoritative brand to each of its unique and respective audiences, including current and potential Enterprise/SMB clients and freelance talent network.
You will work cross-functionally with team members in Design, PR, Publications, Community, and Growth to grow pipelines of articles, stories, thought leadership, videos, and more, designed to engage with each of Toptal’s audiences. Reporting into the Social Media Strategist, you will help develop strategies for engaging with trusted brands, people, and media outlets that are relevant to Toptal, and will develop systems for measuring the impact of these strategies.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
- Supporting the Social Media Strategist, you will help scale the operations and impact of Toptal’s social media accounts across all platforms and verticals.
- You will act as the social media gatekeeper for Toptal’s brand channels, ensuring all published content is best practice and aligned with the brand vision and social media strategy.
- Working with key stakeholders across the company to source authoritative analyses, tutorials, op-eds, stories, etc. both written by Toptal and by third parties, you will curate, write, and publish content for Toptal’s Content Calendar, engaging with and managing, if necessary, any comments that are left by our audience.
- You have experience with paid social ads and can make strategic recommendations based on Always On, evergreen, or campaign content.
- You have experience working with influencers and can build, identify, and maintain lists of trusted brands, media outlets, industry thought leaders, and influencers in each space and recommend corresponding strategies for engaging with them.
- Working with the Customer Experience team, you will build out situational frameworks for social media engagement, ensuring timely responses to all credible brand mentions in an authoritative yet friendly way. This also includes negative response management and providing recommendations and/or mitigating negative reviews online.
- You will look for opportunities for social listening, identifying and responding to social conversations where there is a natural brand tie in.
- Finally, in conjunction with the Social Media Strategist, you will track the impact of all social media efforts, demonstrating the efficacy of your function and feeding into the overall Social Media Analytics dashboard.
To succeed in this role, you must live and breathe social media, and be comfortable making best practice recommendations in ambiguous environments. You will be expected to act as the social media gatekeeper at Toptal, ensuring that not only all content published on our channels are up to brand standards and industry best practices, but also continuously look for ways to improve on our social media strategy and elevate the brand online.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month you will:
- Begin taking over operations of Toptal’s social media accounts one-by-one, ensuring successful handoff and maintenance of quality as you go.
- Review posting frequency and quality across channels and develop a prioritized backlog of areas for improvement.
- Review existing processes for continuously sourcing thought leadership for each of our audiences and social platforms and develop a prioritized backlog of areas for improvement.
- Begin developing processes for engaging with all credible questions/comments/issues raised to Toptal across social media platforms.
- Continue onboarding by diving deeper into the operations of key teams across the company, including understanding their upcoming roadmaps and building strategies for social media to support initiatives that are in progress.
In the first three months you will:
- Execute prioritized backlog of planned improvements to post frequency and quality across platforms, content pipelines, and engagement strategies.
- Develop lists of trusted, authoritative brands, media outlets, and people for each of Toptal’s audiences, along with strategies for engaging with each.
- Develop processes for staying up to date on industry news for each of Toptal’s audiences, along with processes for continuously updating our lists of trusted, authoritative social media accounts and strategies for engagement.
- Begin creating analytics dashboards to continuously monitor the impact of each of Toptal’s social media accounts, with a focus on measuring engagement with each of our audiences.
In the first six months you will:
- Ensure all social media accounts are consistently and reliably posting frequently enough, always maintaining quality, and engaging with their audiences, systematically finding ways to remove bottlenecks to this goal.
- Develop long-term social media roadmap and vision that incorporates strategy for ongoing initiatives around the company, as well as a strategy for elevating Toptal’s trust within each of its audiences.
- Leverage analytics dashboards to measure the efficacy of ongoing strategies and develop new data-backed initiatives to increase the impact of Toptal’s social media operations.
- 2+ years experience working as a Social Media/Community Manager, preferably in the technology or talent industry, targeting both B2B and B2C audiences.
- You must have a strong understanding of best practices across all social media platforms.
- You must be capable of and eager to learn quickly, diving into new industries, trends, and concepts with ease.
- Strong understanding of the components of compelling, authoritative communications.
- You must excel at collaborating with subject matter experts to understand what is authoritative and what is not, and be capable of translating that into campaigns and messaging strategies.
- Previous experience managing multiple social media accounts across multiple platforms simultaneously.
- Previous experience and familiarity using social media software (Hootsuite, Lithium, Talkwalker) along with employee advocacy tools.
- A high degree of comfort managing multiple communities online and acting as the social media spokesperson when responding to public comments.
- A demonstrated ability to engage technologists, designers, finance experts, enterprise thought leaders on talent, etc. is a plus.
- You must be a self-starter with initiative, creativity, and drive.
- Ownership. You must take responsibility for Toptal’s public image.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself and the brand.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- You consistently stay up to-to-date on emerging social media trends and platforms and can make recommendations on whether or not to apply those changes and/or optimize.
- Agency experience is preferred but not mandatory.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-DNI