Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Social Media Strategist at Toptal, you will own, operate, and grow the social media function for a game-changing, industry-defining company, scaling the operations and impact of our social media accounts across all platforms and talent verticals. You will be responsible for the quality, tone, messaging, and copy on all social channels, ensuring that Toptal is consistently represented as an elite, authoritative brand to each of its audiences, including current and potential Enterprise/SMB clients and freelance talent network.
You have a holistic point of view, can think big picture, and have experience building out a brand through social media. You are an analytical thinker and use data to analyze what performs best, what can be optimized, and how Toptal stands against industry and best practice benchmark. You will work cross-functionally with team members in Design, PR, Publications, Community, and Growth to grow pipelines of articles, stories, thought leadership, videos, and more, designed to engage with each of Toptal’s audiences. You will also develop strategies for engaging with trusted brands, people, and media outlets that are relevant to Toptal, and will develop systems for measuring the impact of these strategies.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
- You will champion the development of the Toptal brand across all social channels, and act as the social gatekeeper, upholding the creative standards and best practices for all content published on Toptal’s main channels.
- You will be responsible for scaling the operations and impact of Toptal’s social media accounts across all platforms. This includes Toptal’s main brand account across Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and Instagram.
- You will build out the quarterly and annual social roadmap laddering up to the overall Brand vision, ensuring continuous innovation and evolution for Toptal channels and content strategy.
- Stay up to date with social media trends and innovations, new platforms and channels, and making strategic recommendations on Toptal’s approach to each opportunity.
- Working closely with the PR team, identify, develop and improve the processes to source thought leadership material for each audience and platform, working with key stakeholders across the company to source authoritative analyses, tutorials, op-eds, stories, etc. both written by Toptal and by third parties.
- Working closely with the PR team, you will also build and maintain lists of trusted brands, media outlets, industry thought leaders, and influencers in each space and recommend strategies for engaging with them.
- Working with the Growth team, develop a paid social strategy for Always On, evergreen, and campaign content.
- You will also build processes for responding to credible brand mentions in a timely, authoritative way.
- Reporting into the VP of Brand Marketing, you will manage, mentor, and guide the Social Media team, including a Social Media Community Manager direct report as well as partner team members in design, content creation, etc.
- Finally, you will develop systems for tracking the impact of all social media strategies, setting and maintaining respective KPI reporting and developing team objectives, and will have the opportunity to scale your function as you show its impact.
To succeed in this role, you must live and breathe social media and be comfortable making effective decisions in ambiguous environments, without extensively defined rules and guidelines. You will be expected to holistically own social media at Toptal, bringing life to social strategies and campaigns, continuously improving upon existing best practices, and strategically thinking about how to scale the function long-term.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month you will:
- Begin taking over operations of Toptal’s social media accounts one-by-one, ensuring successful handoff and maintenance of quality as you go.
- Review posting frequency and quality across channels and develop a prioritized backlog of areas for improvement.
- Review existing processes for continuously sourcing thought leadership for each of our audiences and social platforms and develop a prioritized backlog of areas for improvement.
- Begin developing processes for engaging with all credible questions/comments/issues raised to Toptal across social media platforms.
- Continue onboarding by diving deeper into the operations of key teams across the company, including understanding their upcoming roadmaps and building strategies for social media to support initiatives that are in progress.
In the first three months you will:
- Execute prioritized backlog of planned improvements to post frequency and quality across platforms, content pipelines, and engagement strategies.
- Develop lists of trusted, authoritative brands, media outlets, and people for each of Toptal’s audiences, along with strategies for engaging with each.
- Develop processes for staying up to date on industry news for each of Toptal’s audiences, along with processes for continuously updating our lists of trusted, authoritative social media accounts and strategies for engagement.
- Begin creating analytics dashboards to continuously monitor the impact of each of Toptal’s social media accounts, with a focus on measuring engagement with each of our audiences.
In the first six months you will:
- Ensure all social media accounts are consistently and reliably posting frequently enough, always maintaining quality, and engaging with their audiences, systematically finding ways to remove bottlenecks to this goal.
- Develop long-term social media roadmap and vision that incorporates strategy for ongoing initiatives around the company, as well as a strategy for elevating Toptal’s trust within each of its audiences.
- Leverage analytics dashboards to measure the efficacy of ongoing strategies and develop new data-backed initiatives to increase the impact of Toptal’s social media operations.
- 5+ years experience working in social media marketing and/or communications, preferably in the technology or talent industry, targeting both B2B and B2C audiences.
- You must have a strong understanding of best practices across all social media platforms.
- You must be capable of and eager to learn quickly, diving into new industries, trends, and concepts with ease.
- You must excel at collaborating with subject matter experts to understand what is authoritative and what is not, and be capable of translating that into campaigns and messaging strategies.
- Confidence presenting and providing recommendations to along with managing expectations of senior leadership and executive teams.
- Strong understanding of the components of compelling, authoritative communications.
- Proven ability to manage multiple social media accounts across multiple platforms simultaneously.
- Experience leading and managing an integrated team.
- You must be a self-starter with initiative, creativity, and drive.
- Ownership. You must take responsibility for Toptal’s public image.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself and the brand.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- Experience with social media software (Hootsuite, Lithium, Talkwalker, etc.) as well as employee advocacy tools.
- A demonstrated ability to engage technologists, designers, finance experts, enterprise thought leaders on talent, etc. is a plus.
- Agency experience is preferred but not mandatory.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: ##LI-DNI