Software Engineer in Test, Staff Portal Tango
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Staff Portal teams are focused on migrating applications used by our staff members to the latest technologies, so it would become both easier to use and easier to maintain.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will use your knowledge to bring a huge impact on how we design the team’s approach to the quality of the product.
- You’ll get to work with End2End testing, integration testing, contract, and model-based testing tools using technologies like React, GraphQL, and Cypress as well as Ruby and Cucumber every day.
- You will work closely with the product team, stakeholders, and users from the preliminary planning through to having a holistic view to plan and deliver new features.
- You will encourage and teach developers to craft and implement tests in the most efficient way. Ensure high-level testability or coverage, sufficient monitoring solutions, and debugging mechanisms.
- Work to maintain and improve our automated test suites.
- You will build tools and libraries to simplify the development and improve the quality of the work.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin working with your first teams at Toptal.
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include daily standups and the once a month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on.
- Participate in the development of more broad solutions as a part of the guild (e.g. Quality Guild).
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest Front-end technologies.
- Have the opportunity to use and improve the Back-end technologies within the scope of the team.
- Develop automated tests to ensure that our products flawlessly support our business and behave at sky-high quality standards.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Work on a Web domain with the focus on UI/UX.
- Work on a product used by tens of thousands of users every day.
- Develop your team’s trust to make strategic decisions in regard to tools or methods involved in the QA process.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor, and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Take joy in deployment to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team or other individuals while working in a distributed model.
- You must have proven knowledge of OOP, databases, development, and test methodologies.
- Understand core software testing concepts, paradigms, and approaches.
- Experience with the Ruby testing ecosystem RSpec and Cucumber.
- Experience with architecture focused on service or microservices is a plus.
- Eagerness to do what is needed to get things done, including tackling different responsibilities for a period of time.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Capable of training your team on software testing.
- Self-organization. No one will tell you exactly how to work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must have a focus on details.
- Critical thinking and enthusiastic skepticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.