Software Engineer in Test for the Talent Post-Hire Team
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a quality-first company - we always strive to make the result of top quality. In Toptal, quality is the responsibility of the whole team led by the Software Engineers in Test. We believe that top quality can only be reached by assuring this on multiple levels: product, engineering, and their respective team. We believe that QA is more about communication and collaboration rather than documentation and processes and because of that, our Software Engineers in Test are following a holistic approach.
In reference to the product, you will work closely with product managers to ensure the team builds the proper software, that reaches company goals and brings value to its users. In reference to engineering, you will support fast and reliable delivery of software, leading and coordinating software assessment and testing activities. Last but not least, in your team, you will lead process transformations to improve quality, mentoring your teammates for better testing.
As a member of the Talent post-Hire team, you will provide value to our users, the freelancing professionals after they are accepted on our talent network. The team is pioneering in this area, providing a better experience for them in terms of facilitating the logistic aspects that will get them productive as soon as day one.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will be able to use your knowledge to bring a huge impact on how we design the team’s approach to the quality of the product.
- You will work closely with the product team, stakeholders, and users from the preliminary planning work, understand the product very well, from different perspectives, and have a holistic view over it. Plan and deliver new features.
- You will encourage and teach developers to craft and implement tests in the most efficient way. Ensure high-level testability or coverage, sufficient monitoring solutions, and debugging mechanisms. Work to maintain and improve our automated test suites.
- You will build tools and libraries to simplify the development and improve the quality of the work.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Transition from our Bootcamp program and begin working with your first teams at Toptal
- Attend regular meetings. Examples include daily standups and the once a month Engineering All-hands meeting.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on.
- Participate in the development of more broad solutions as a part of the guild (e.g. Quality Guild).
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest Front-end technologies.
- Have the opportunity to use and improve the Back-end technologies within the scope of the team.
- Develop automated tests in order to ensure that our products flawlessly support our business and behave at sky-high quality standards.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Work on a domain with extensive A/B testing to support decisions.
- Work on a product used by tens of thousands of users every day.
- Develop your team’s trust to make strategic decisions in regard to tools or methods involved in the QA process.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Take joy in deployment to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team or other individuals while working in a distributed model.
- You must have proven knowledge of OOP, databases, development, and test methodologies.
- Understand core software testing concepts, paradigms, and approaches.
- Experience with the Ruby testing ecosystem (RSpec, Watir, Cucumber) will be considered a plus.
- Experience with service-oriented architecture or microservices is a plus.
- Eagerness to do what is needed to get things done, including tackling different responsibilities for a period of time.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Be able to train your team on software testing.
- Self-organization. No one will tell you exactly how to work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be detail-oriented.
- Critical thinking and enthusiastic skepticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.