Software Engineer in Test, Growth Engineering Squad
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a quality-first company. While quality is the responsibility of the whole team, our Software Engineers in Test lead this effort. We believe that top quality can only be reached by ensuring this on the product, engineering, and team level. We believe that QA is more about communication and collaboration over documentation and processes and because of that, we follow a holistic approach.
In reference to the product, you will work closely with product managers to ensure the team builds the proper software that reaches company goals and brings value to its users. In reference to engineering, you will support fast and reliable delivery of software, leading and coordinating software assessment and testing activities. Last but not least, in your team, you will lead process transformations to improve quality and mentor your teammates to achieve exceptional quality outcomes.
You will be working in one of the multiple teams that make up the Growth Squad. Some teams focus on building content and applications that increase our engagement with prospective talents or clients, while other teams will work on the foundations - tools that streamline content creation and administration. All teams provide value to freelancers, companies, and enterprises by ensuring great user experience, content delivery, clearance, and quality of our public pages and applications. Every bit of work you do will have a direct impact on the company’s revenue.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Use your knowledge to bring a huge impact on how we design the team’s approach to the quality of the product;
- Work closely with the product team, stakeholders, and users from the preliminary planning through to having a holistic view to plan and deliver new features;
- Encourage and teach developers to craft and implement tests in the most efficient way;
- Ensure high-level testability or coverage, sufficient monitoring solutions, and debugging mechanisms;
- Work to maintain and improve our automated test suites;
- Build tools and libraries to simplify the development and improve the quality of the work.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal, and meet the mentors that will support you through it;
- Get familiar with our product portfolio, team structure, and tech stack;
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting; *Start working on regular team tasks and become familiar with the business domain.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be actively engaged in the development of new features your team works on;
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest Front-end technologies;
- Develop automated tests to ensure that our products flawlessly support our business and behave at sky-high quality standards.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Work on a domain with extensive A/B testing to support decisions;
- Work on our public pages;
- Develop your team’s trust to make strategic decisions in regard to tools or methods involved in the QA process.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor, and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team;
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most;
- Take joy in deployment to production multiple times a day and collaborating daily with your team or other individuals while working in a distributed model.
- You must have proven knowledge of OOP, databases, development, and test methodologies;
- Understand core software testing concepts, paradigms, and approaches;
- Experience with React testing and React web applications;
- Experience with E2E testing;
- Good understanding of the principles of CI and Visual Regression testing (i.e. Loki);
- Good understanding of the principles of SEO;
- Good to know: understanding of Design Systems (React + Storybook);
- Experience with architecture focused on service or microservices is a plus;
- Eagerness to do what is needed to get things done, including tackling different responsibilities for a period of time;
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams;
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself;
- Capable of training your team on software testing;
- Self-organization. No one will tell you exactly how to work;
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools;
- You must have a focus on details;
- Critical thinking and enthusiastic skepticism;
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.