Specialized Social Media Community Manager
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a Specialized Social Media Community Manager to join our Communications team. This role will report to our Director of Social Media. We are looking for someone to help manage Toptal’s publishing and community engagement across a focus of highly specialized, community-led social media channels. These include but are not limited to; Reddit, Quora, Discord, Slack, and emerging social community sites where Toptal has an opportunity to engage our audience. In this role you will need to work closely with our Community Managers, Influencer Specialists, and Audience Engagement team to ensure the content is published on the appropriate platforms in an authentic and engaging way. This person will be responsible for monitoring all channels and responding to the community when appropriate, creating weekly performance updates along with preview of week ahead content plan, and advising on performance of content. This person will need to manage community interactions and will work closely with Toptal’s internal Communications team to ensure consistency of messaging on behalf of Toptal. This applicant will be expected to have an in-depth knowledge of existing social media best practices across both paid and organic as well as a strong grasp on emerging platforms, with an opportunistic eye for Toptal to engage our audience in new and novel ways through Social Media.
In this role, you will ensure that the quality, tone, messaging, copy and final creative are consistently representative of a best-in-class brand to each of its unique and respective audiences, including current and potential clients and freelance talent. This person will work cross-functionally with team members in Creative, Communications, Publications, Paid Media and Growth teams to ensure the content scheduled for publishing is appropriately formatted for the specific platform in order to drive the highest engagement possible.
Our ideal candidate lives and breathes social media and is comfortable making best practice recommendations in ambiguous environments. You will be expected to act as the social media gatekeeper at Toptal, ensuring that all content published on our channels is up to brand standards and industry best practices.
If you are passionate about creating, curating and managing meaningful engagements with an audience in Social Media community spaces, and you have a strong understanding of the importance of a brand’s tone of voice across a variety of channels, we strongly encourage you to apply!
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Manages, moderates and engages with Toptal’s community across community-focused platforms (Reddit, Discord, Slack, Quora, etc), employing a variety of tactics to maintain a vibrant and informed audience.
- Develops strategies for sharing Toptal thought-leadership content on community-focused sites in authentic and platform-native ways.
- Proactively engages with thought-leadership social media accounts - both influencers and leading businesses - in order to build partnerships and uncover possibilities for future collaborations.
- Develops weekly analytics reports for organic content performance on community sites for Toptal’s social media channels.
- Advises on tactical social media strategies including recommendations on optimizing creative, scheduling of posts in order to drive optimal engagement and best practices to wider teams.
- Partners with the Communications and the broader Marketing team in order to establish and achieve business goals in planning, deploying and measuring all social media content.
- Partners with the wider social media team to manage the content calendar, ensuring that all content is up-to-date, accurate, and approved by internal partners.
- Acts as quality control for all content posted and shared on Toptal’s channels.
- Advises on social media trends and emerging platforms that will support in achieving Toptal’s business goals.
- Must be passionate about social media, knowledgeable of community-focused social media platforms, and comfortable managing and engaging with specialized communities.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Join the wider Communications team meetings as needed to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Make contact with the Publications team and establish a weekly meeting cadence.
In the first month, expect to:
- Become familiar with Toptal’s current process for creating content and planning our social content calendar.
- Review our historical and evolving paid & organic social strategies and introduce yourself to the Paid Media team.
- Research and begin building audience relationships on community-based social media sites.
- Support in executing the content distribution strategy including supporting lead editors/authors/contributors in researching appropriate community sites to publish their content.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Establish weekly reporting structure showing the performance tied to key metrics for organic content across all of our accounts.
- Work with the Social Media and PR/Influencer teams to discover and engage with industry leaders and influencers in order to build partnerships and develop beneficial working strategies. *Refine strategies for community-focused social media properties to ensure optimal content distribution and organic reach.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Develop weekly/monthly/quarterly and bi-annually performance reports for community-forward social media properties which provide insights into the content posted across these channels.
- Understand and articulate the distinction in tone of voice and content publishing across the different community-focused social media properties.
- Lead the Publications team in order to develop an optimized content roll-out strategy which includes leveraging and amplifying influencer voices.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to put updated strategies and content approaches into action.
In the first year, expect to:
- Work closely with our cross-functional teams (Publications/Communications/Creative) to drive Toptal’s goals and achieve objectives including expanding our social media presence in 2022/23.
- Position yourself as a key member of the Social Media and Communications team and produce work that is capable of driving both business outcomes and positive press/awards.
- Bachelor’s degree or completed 4-year University certification required.
- Minimum of 4+ years experience working in social media on behalf of a brand either as a Social Media Community Manager, Digital Content Manager or Social Media Strategist, preferably in the technology or talent industry, targeting B2B audiences.
- Strong understanding of Social Media best practices across different platforms and passion for crafting content across all social media platforms, including LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Youtube, Reddit, Quora, Discord, etc.
- Experience interacting with and building an engaged community through social media community channels such as Facebook Groups, LinkedIn Groups, etc.
- Experience planning and managing social media metrics frameworks across multiple social media platforms.
- Experience in managing audiences on community-focused platforms.
- Comfortable making decisions on behalf of an organization and understanding of the role social media plays in the perception of a company.
- Familiarity and experience with social media content management platforms such as Sprinklr, Later, Emplifi, Asana, etc.
- Experience writing creative briefs for Art Directors, Copywriters, Copy Editors, Designers, and Videographers which will produce assets optimized for social media.
- Strong understanding of both paid and organic social media strategy.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.