Talent Operations Coordinator
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As our Talent Operations Coordinator, you will drive business impact by supporting operational leaders with better, more data-driven decision-making. You will help to enable day-to-day processes as well as major projects and initiatives to improve performance. Specific responsibilities include writing queries, pulling data, building / updating reports and dashboards, answering questions, and providing general analytics support.
Building strong and positive relationships with other team members is critical. You must be able to think independently and not just take orders. To be successful in this role you must live and breathe SQL daily and be proficient in creating Tableau reports. You must be a critical thinker, problem-solver, and self-starter.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Empower data-driven decision-making by fulfilling stakeholder needs with data pulls, dashboard updates, and answering questions.
- Ask probing questions to uncover true business needs and propose creative solutions to difficult problems.
- Partner with report developers to build mockups and develop custom reports and Tableau dashboards.
- Partner with business analysts to analyze data, derive insights, and make recommendations.
- Be intellectually curious about the operational problems and goals that drive the need for data.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve our business processes and work with cross-functional stakeholders to drive action and make decisions.
- Document data elements, metrics, dimensions, definitions, and data sources.
- Train end users on data usage, complexities, nuances, and limitations.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across Talent Success to learn about the team’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities and where / how that data is stored.
- Understand our ETL processes, timing, tools, monitoring, roadmap, and pain points.
- Understand our source systems, and where they fit into our business processes.
- Conduct small scale analyses supporting Talent Success projects.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a mastery of data elements.
- Become the data expert supporting Talent Success.
- Prioritize and process backlog requests.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Support the major initiatives of Talent Success, directly contributing to talent experience and retention.
- Identify new opportunities to pursue with our business partners.
- 3+ years of experience in data science, data analysis, analytics, business intelligence, or reporting.
- Experience in doing exploratory / raw data analysis, data modeling, and data governance (quality, accuracy, coverage, security, etc.).
- Experience translating business logic and objectives into SQL code and linking data and analytics to business strategy and operations to drive real impact.
- Experience building reports and dashboards using Tableau or other BI tools.
- Ability to manage time, prioritize requests, and satisfy business needs effectively and efficiently.
- Detail-oriented, methodical, and thorough.
- Strong professional skepticism, including the ability to challenge assumptions.
- Extremely proficient in SQL; experience with R, Python, or MATLAB a plus.
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik, etc.).
- Strong technical background in math, science, engineering, or statistics.
- Working knowledge of business processes and statistics.
- Team player that builds strong relationships and establishes trust with business leaders, engineers, and business analytics colleagues.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain complex issues in a simple and intuitive way.
- Work collaboratively and independently; take ownership of quality, accuracy, and timeliness of deliverables.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.