Project Sales Consultant
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Project Sales Consultant, you will be part of Toptal Teams, responsible for working closely with Toptal’s Sales, Practices, and Alliances teams to qualify and secure new clients through consultative selling best practices and technical assessment. You will be a primary point of contact for client leads and will be responsible for delivering world-class client experiences, expanding the breadth and depth of the Toptal Teams portfolio in both the SMB and the Enterprise space, and serving as a subject matter expert in the latest Agile and general SDLC methodologies. This role will also require the ability to consult with Toptal Talent team members and internal stakeholders to scope projects, plan resources, and build out proposal decks to win new client work.
To excel in this position, you should have a strong background in account and/or relationship management across both SMB and Enterprise clients and experience with software delivery consulting. The role requires the ability to identify and execute on clients needs even without clear direction from client stakeholders. It will also be important to have strong knowledge of project management process stages i.e. initiate, plan, execute, monitor and control and close, and the supporting processes during an engagement (e.g. scope, cost, time, issue, risk, resource, communication, stakeholder management). The Project Sales Consultant must have excellent stakeholder relationship management skills to successfully navigate client conversations and instill confidence for the client in Toptal’s ability to execute on any delivery request. This role will report to the Director of Delivery, New Business & Client Development.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in North or South America. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with Toptal’s Sales Teams to qualify and secure new clients. (crafting proposals, including approaches and timelines, joining Sales calls, etc.)
- Work with Toptal’s Talent Team to identify and secure resources that ensure the right combinations of expertise and skill set for client proposals/projects.
- Collaborate with internal account team members to leverage subject matter experts and divide responsibilities where appropriate.
- Maintain strong knowledge of emerging market trends & technologies.
- Support internal sales teams by providing training on Toptal Teams delivery offering.
- Direct the execution and delivery of client proposals.
- Ensure smooth handoff from Sales to delivery team.
- Brainstorm and execute initiatives for new business development.
- Ensure all project proposals are delivered successfully and according to Toptal’s process, methodology, and quality standards.
- Build trusted relationships with Toptal clients and internal team members.
- Work with internal pursuit teams to consult on and create high-level project plans, including time/cost estimation and resource scheduling for successful implementation.
- Prepare weekly/monthly pipeline, revenue, and conversion reports.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Zoom and/or Slack.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Meet colleagues in our sales, talent, and operational teams to begin your onboarding journey at Toptal.
In the first month, expect to:
- Learn about our delivery model, shadow colleagues on new pursuit calls, and begin building pursuit decks.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Shadow other team members and lead pursuit deals in collaboration with your manager.
- Manage new pursuit calls for client leads.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Begin to lead client pursuit calls and begin to independently qualify client/projects for Toptal Teams.
In the first year, expect to:
- Manage your own portfolio of pursuits and collaborate with SMB and Enterprise stakeholders to ensure client conversion and revenue growth.
- 5+ years of experience working in an Account or Relationship Management role.
- 3+ years of experience in a software consulting or sales role.
- Experience working across the software project management life cycle – plan, initiate, elaborate, design, build, test, implement.
- Comprehensive ability to quickly understand client intent/needs and convert that intent into actionable material and detailed content in sales proposals or on client calls.
- Experience managing sales portfolio and pipeline in Salesforce.
- Strong team working skills and stakeholder management experience across geographically dispersed virtual teams.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong knack for establishing and growing strong working relationships with clients and internal team members.
- Experience working with distributed teams, including the ability to work effectively as a remote member of a dynamic, distributed team with tight deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational and leadership skills.
- You must be self-motivated, quick-thinking, and able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.