Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Technical Screener, you will be a valuable member of the Talent Screening Team, responsible for screening and vetting of technical talent that apply to join the Toptal talent network. This role will be fast-paced and will have you interacting with some of the top talent from across the globe.
You will be responsible for interviewing those talent, understanding their technical background, project preferences along with evaluating their coding/development skills during live coding sessions. Also, you will work with our teams to design and create new evaluation content that will help us accurately assess the talent pool and validate which talents can help our clients succeed.
The individual we are looking for is a person with solid technical knowledge, who has experience interviewing and evaluating technical talent. We are looking for people who enjoy learning new technologies, but are not necessarily interested in building production code. You enjoy reviewing code, checking code for bugs or errors, and understanding talent performance and how they would fit into our network.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Consistently conduct live technical interviews with applied talents.
- Review and evaluate code submissions.
- Create new screening content (technical tasks, live coding sessions).
- Modify and maintain existing testing content.
- Supporting the team leads in planning, creating, and releasing new team initiatives and process updates.
- Improving our technical interview process and implementing new methods of testing talents.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Meet other stakeholders to understand business and screening team goals.
- Become familiar with the various platforms and systems Screening Operations utilizes in screening Toptal talent.
- Shadow key team members to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and business units.
In the first month, expect to:
- Have a full understanding of talent and client journey from an initial application/sign up to the start of an engagement.
- Learn about the screening process and what we want to accomplish in the months to come.
- Learn and understand existing technical screening processes, from standard screening, expedited screening, custom screening paths, and the process of creating new paths.
- Start conducting technical interviews with new Toptal applicants.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become familiar with all screening processes and manage technical interviews on your own.
- Assist the Technical Screening Team Lead in communication with other teams and stakeholders.
- Support kicking-off new initiatives and screening paths by working cross-functionally with internal teams.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Help other team leads manage specific client requests and ensure the talent interview process is matching specific requests.
- Be able to make strong decisions that can impact our team performance and talent activation rates.
In the first year, expect to:
- Act as a subject matter expert on the Technical Screener role.
- Be able to manage and delegate specific topics involved in activating new talents.
- Continue to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
- Offer insights and ways to improve the success of a screening lifecycle based on feedback, experience, and data insights.
- 3+ years of experience in IT development positions (development team lead, senior software engineer, technical screener).
- Experience in interviewing technical talents for full-stack positions.
- Experience with code reviewing.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, IT, or a related field preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Good communication is at the core of everything we do, and you must be a strong communicator able to work with a wide range of stakeholders from senior executives to individual contributors.
- Excellent organization skills and detail-oriented. You are hyper-organized, know how to work efficiently, and prioritize execution.
- Resourceful. You should be a self-starter who thrives on the freedom and accountability that comes with managing your own workflow.
- Adaptable. Comfortable managing changing priorities, learning new skills and building consensus across varied stakeholder groups.
- Ownership. You are a dependable team member who takes responsibility for your success as well as the success of the entire team.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.