Technology Practice Lead
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a results-oriented professional with a consistent history of driving impact in an innovative, fast-paced, and rapidly-scaling environment? As Toptal continues its rapid growth, we are looking for an established leader to join us in the newly crafted role of Technology Practice Leader. A technology company first, this practice is the backbone of Toptal’s success and will be vital to the continued growth of the business. As the leader of this practice, you will be accountable for the continued development and scale of the practice within Toptal.
This leader will help develop and execute against a strategy for this practice that will achieve ambitious goals in the years to come. A deep understanding of technology trends and the priorities of buyers will inform decisions such as which skills/solutions we should build-out, how we price/package what we do for target buyers, and how we evolve our value proposition in the future to meet changing market needs.
This role is highly collaborative. The groups that this person will work closely alongside include:
- Enterprise and SMB go-to-market teams to understand current/future demand and to enable/educate them to best position our Technology practice.
- Talent Operations to ensure our talent network is prepared to meet the demands of the market (e.g., the right skills in the right capacities).
- Brand & Growth Marketing to develop thought leadership and campaigns that highlight our competitive differentiation, elevate our reputation in the market, and generate leads for sales.
The successful executive for this role has a demonstrated capability to:
- Articulate a long-term strategy grounded in an agile execution plan.
- Build and lead a team but be able and comfortable rolling up sleeves to do the work. In the beginning, this person will be a team of one that will ramp up throughout the year.
- Make data-informed decisions and define key metrics with which you’ll measure progress.
- Put themself in the shoes of your audience (target buyers) in order to understand their problems, develop/execute an approach to solve them, and articulate the solution in a clear and compelling way.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere within the United States. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
Responsibility for the strategy and direction of our offerings to the marketplace rests with this leader who will be given the opportunity to drive overall practice growth through a combination of thought leadership, strategic planning, collaboration, and execution. Over time, this individual will build an overall playbook across supply, demand, product, marketing, and sales for the Technology practice as a whole that is both repeatable and flexible.
The successful candidate will come to this role with a depth of knowledge and experience within the technology solutions world and novel ideas to take advantage of our unique position and service offerings in the marketplace.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal; meet your colleagues.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow critical teams throughout the organization to learn Toptal’s core operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Continue onboarding by diving deeper into the operations of key teams across the company, including understanding their upcoming roadmaps and building strategies for the Technology practice.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of the Technology practice, determining strengths and weaknesses as it relates to our position in the marketplace.
- Begin developing relationships with key leaders and stakeholders across the organization.
- Begin taking ownership of key initiatives so that you can put your mark on them and learn about the organization by doing.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be a well-integrated member of the organization with positive relationships in Sales (Enterprise/SMB), Marketing, and Talent Operations.
- Be in front of clients on a regular basis to hear from them firsthand.
- Articulate a hypothesis about where you want to take the Technology practice (strategy) and design experiments / build execution approaches to get there.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have moved from purely planning to execution.
- See an impact from your involvement in early initiatives.
- Define a team structure and begin hiring.
In the first year, expect to:
- Feel like you made the best decision of your career.
- Increase the growth rate of our Technology practice materially.
- 10+ years of experience preferably in consulting or professional services with at least 5+ years consulting specifically in technology solutions.
- 5+ years managing a business, preferably with P&L responsibility.
- Experience packaging, pricing, and delivering compelling solutions across both Enterprise and Mid-Market/SMB clients.
- Refined relationship development & leadership skills with a track record of success building immediate credibility across all levels of an organization. You can develop positive relationships across the business to partner on key initiatives and gain consensus on processes and strategies.
- Confidence in your analysis abilities, with proven success delivering results in ambiguous and sophisticated project efforts.
- Skilled in the art of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.