Toptal is seeking an exceptional UX Researcher who will help guide and inspire cross-functional teams by uncovering meaningful, human-centered insights to drive great design and innovation for our product teams. Your work will be vital to how we understand the needs of our clients, talent and internal operations to define a product roadmap that effectively addresses our users’ key problems.
As the first UX researcher at Toptal, you should be able to introduce a range of formative and iterative research methods impacting both product direction and detailed experience design. In addition, you should be curious, driven, methodical, an effective communicator and comfortable in a fast-moving organization. If you’re excited about the high potential for growth and ability to make an impact, this role is a great fit for you.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All user research sessions will be conducted remotely. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Identify and prioritize research items based on analysis of existing product designs, business needs, project goals, and risks.
- Continuously gather knowledge about customers through various channels (e.g. shadowing operations teams, customer interviews/feedback.)
- Design and conduct remote user research studies, including surveys, in-depth interviews, field studies, focus groups, and concept/prototype testing.
- Analyze, synthesize and present findings to all stakeholders with clarity and agility using a combination of various user feedback and research tools and your own methodologies.
- Own Toptal’s user feedback experience in conjunction with product managers and designers.
- Communicate findings and opportunities in clear, concise, and compelling ways to stakeholders.
- Foster collaboration with designers, product managers, marketers, and operations to translate insights into actionable recommendations that inform execution.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become acquainted with our product, the product goals, and those you will work closely with.
- Independently start to study and learn the Toptal product suite.
- Start shadowing key operational teams including, Sales, Screening, and Matching.
In the first month you will:
- Work cross-functionally and with Product Managers to organize and prioritize your high-level research roadmap and backlog.
- Start participating in User Research Calls.
- Continue to learn the Toptal product suite.
- Continue Call Shadowing.
In the first three months you will:
- Fully support the Product Team in organizing conducting user research and synthesizing findings.
- Be fully embedded in our product team, managing the user research roadmap.
- Own user feedback tools and mechanisms within Toptal.
In the first six months you will:
- Have established a cadence for user research across the entire product stack.
- Have built a repeatable framework for user research at Toptal.
In the first year you will:
- Continue to iterate on and improve Toptal’s user research framework based on your experience in the past year.
- Grow the user research team based on the needs of the organization.
- Experience doing User Experience Research in a technology company or startup focused on a software or internet related product.
- B.A./B.S. or M.A./M.S. in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology, Design, Business or a related degree.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience designing and executing field research on digital platforms including web, desktop, and mobile. We expect to hear stories of how your research influenced product roadmaps and informed design decisions.
- Solid understanding of best practices for conducting research (qualitative and quantitative) in user experience, product design, or technology contexts. Bonus points if you have done this remotely in the past.
- An amazing portfolio of written project plans and results presentations that demonstrate the use of user research methodologies to contribute solutions to solve complex problems.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills with a proven ability to turn research results into product insights.
- Self-motivated and execution-oriented. Ability to execute at a high level of quality in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Ability to create compelling presentations and confidently convey insights through storytelling.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence a range of audiences.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems.
- Experience building or leading UX Research teams is considered a plus.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.